WHHS Winter Sports Preview: Fencing

NorthJersey.com

Dawson Sieradzky, pictured here, is one of the best high school fencers in the country.

By Jack Woodard, Staff Writer

The WHHS Boys Fencing team looks to continue their hot streak.  Last year the boys had an 11-2 record and most teams they played had trouble keeping up with them.  The last loss came against Ridge, the undefeated state champion, in the states semi-finals.  The boys will most certainly seek revenge this year.

Last year the team won their first eight games of the season.  They absolutely crushed all of their opponents in the wins.  The closest game came against West Windsor-Plainsboro North, 15-12.  WHHS ended up in first place in their conference at the end of the season and will want to repeat that outcome.

The team is excited about what senior Dawson Sieradzky will do this year.  This team will be very dangerous if he repeats what he did last year.  He now has more experience and if he is even close to as good as he was last year, nobody will want to face him.  Last year, Sieradzky was named the Boys Fencer of the Year, and he was only a junior!  Anyone associated with the Patriots Fencing team will be very excited to see what he does this year.  Great things are expected from this team.

Hunter Lederman, a sophomore, said, “We certainly can’t wait for the season to start.  The expectations are high and we will do our best to live up to them.  Our coaches will teach the new freshman how to fence and get better.  Our upperclassmen will also help them out.  Overall, I think it is going to be another very successful season.” 

The players, fans, and coaches are ready for the season to start, and go far into states again.  This year the Patriots will look to send a message to teams around the state that they are a team to take very seriously, and hopefully cap the season with a state championship.