Joseph Gurriell is the Artist of the Month

By Samantha Vaught, Staff Writer

The art community is a large part of WHHS, and this month’s artist is senior Joseph Gurriell.

Gurriell was chosen as the first artist of the month by Rosalie Vallario. Vallario, who is an art teacher here at Hills, chose Gurriell out of her 8th period drawing and painting class for his amazing qualities.

“In the drawing and painting class, all of the students are in the advanced level, so I didn’t want to base it on artistic quality alone. I looked for a student who has a positive attitude, is helpful to those around him, who encourages and compliments his fellow peers, in addition to being a solid student,” Vallario said.

Gurriell met all of these standards according to Vallario, he is always positive and laughing in class. Not only does he have a good work ethic, but he helps others in the class too.

Gurriell started taking art classes in middle school while being in cycles, but he has been drawing all of his life. “It is a stress reliever and it allows me to express myself in other ways than emotionally and physically, ” Gurriell said.

His favorite medium in art is chalk pastel and he used it in his favorite piece called French Lips. His last piece was a pencil drawing of an x-ray of his broken ankle that he drew in Vallario’s class.

Gurriell is a four-year varsity swimmer, a member of the student ambassador program, and it apart of National Art Honors Society. He is most looking forward to Senior Prom this year.