Wayne Hills Votes

By Jenna Sundel, Contributor

Voting is a right that many high school students look forward to, especially with this year’s controversial election between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump. Now, students don’t have to wait until they are 18 to cast their vote for their favorite candidate, as Wayne Hills held its first mock election! It was organized by Mrs. O’Brien and Mr. Hanke, who were inspired by the election to make their own in the school. The results were revealed by Monday, and republican candidate Donald Trump won by 10 votes.

Hanke believes that the results of the election should reflect the mock election results in school.

“The demographics in Wayne are different, but it should be the same winner,” says Hanke.

The mock election is also teaching students in the special education program about the voting process and more. O’Brien and Hanke are both special education teachers, so they wanted to incorporate a fun and beneficial experience for the students into the mock election. The students worked together to hand out an “ID” with your name out, direct you to the voting room, give you a ballot, and give the directions on how to fill it out. When all the votes are in, they counted and sorted all of the ballots.

“It combines citizenship and life skills for the students,” says O’Brien.

Despite all of the hard work, the students had fun. They got to interact with other students and learn all about the process.

“We get to learn how to choose a candidate and vote in the future,” says Samantha Ramirez, a sophomore who was been hard at work filling and handing out ID cards with her friend, Kimmy Medina.

The mock election allowed students to express their opinions and practice voting, so all students who stopped by are truly thanked! Wayne Hills chose Trump, who will America choose?