Soccer Team Advances to States

Captain Jake Samieske  during county championship game.

Photo By Erin Sentowski

Captain Jake Samieske during county championship game.

By John Conturso, Staff Writer

The WHHS boy’s varsity soccer team are having an extremely successful year. Their record is 12-1-1 with a 5-1-1 record in conference play. The most goals allowed in a game is 2, which means they have had stupendous defensive play from their defense and their goalie. That defense helped carry them to the championship game as they played Clifton in the 2016 Passaic County Tournament Final. The Patriots came in as the underdog after being ranked as the fourth seed, and Clifton was ranked as the number two seed. Jake Samieske (2017) scored a crucial free kick that helped seal the deal for the Patriots as they won 2-0. I caught up with Jake and asked what was going through his mind when he stepped up to take the kick.

“When I stepped up to take the penalty, I knew I had to make it. We play better when we score first so that would be a huge momentum swinger. I was extremely nervous,  it has been a dream of mine to win counties since freshman year. To see it all come together, it meant the world to me,” Jake said. 

This win is the Patriots’ seventh overall PCT championship. The Patriots and the Wayne Valley Indians will square off in the coming weeks once again. The Indian’s won the first matchup between the two by a score of 2-0. That loss was the only one for the Patriots season. The Patriots never looked back after they went on to win twelve straight games and then to win the PCT championship.  With only a few games left in the season, the Patriots will look to capitalize on them so they will get a higher seed for states if they make it. No matter if they do or don’t make it to states, it has been a terrific season all around.