Creepy, Cute, and Creative Costumes for Halloween

By Jenna Sundel, Staff Writer

The only night of the year where pirates, princesses, cowboys, superheroes, cats, hippies, and more walk around town  is quickly approaching. From cool costumes and delicious candy to spooky decorations, Halloween is definitely one of the most exciting holidays.

However, some students are staying home instead of trick or treating this year. The fact that Halloween is sometimes viewed as a little kids’ holiday combined with Halloween being on a Monday is contributing to the lack of interest in the spookiest night of the year.

“I am not going to trick or treat this year. I’m too old for that,” says sophomore Yara Kiblawi.

The negatives do not outweigh the positives of Halloween for all. Elaborate costumes will still be seen in and out of school, worn by students truly expressing their unique personalities. This year, the costumes are becoming more creative than ever while still holding on to some of the classics.

One of the most popular costumes to look out for are political costumes. With the election quickly approaching, people are ready to show their support by wearing Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump masks. Costumes from TV and movies will also be very popular, especially from hit movies like Star Wars and Suicide Squad. Costumes are getting more digital, so there will be many people with Pokemon costumes or even some people dressed up as popular Snapchat filters.

One classic costume that will not be seen this year are clowns. With the recent creepy clown scare, many schools and towns are banning clown costumes. Other schools, such as Pines Lake Elementary School, are not banning all clown costumes, but are telling parents to use caution and avoid ones that are too scary.

“I feel it’s a good thing that schools and towns ban clown costumes so kids and parents don’t have to worry about seeing clowns or worrying that a clown will see them,” says sophomore Megan Kick.

Costumes can be expensive, so many students will be creating their own costumes this year. DIY costumes allow people to create their own original costume that will probably be one of a kind in their neighborhood. Some are simple, allowing even people who are not so crafty to create a custom costume, such as a ghost made from sheets or wearing pajamas and carrying a teddy bear to look like a little kid. Some harder DIY costumes include using felt and iron-ons to make a plain t-shirt transform into any character imaginable.

Halloween is a time to be whatever you want to be, express yourself, and get lots of candy, so enjoy it and have fun!