WHHS Girls Tennis Season Ends Well

By Jack Woodard, Staff Writer

The WHHS Varsity Girls Tennis season has concluded and the girls ended the season on a high note.  The team finished with an 11-5 record placing them at 5th in the North Jersey, Section 1 – Group 3 standings.  Northern Highlands (18-1)  finished in 1st and coming in second was Fair Lawn (12-2), a team that the Patriots could not find an answer to, losing to them twice.

After winning counties, WHHS kept their momentum going against Lakeland, recording a 5-0 win. Then the girls competed against Fair Lawn.  The first time the two met Fair Lawn dominated the Patriots, winning 4-1.  This time that was not the case. WHHS gave Fair Lawn one of their closest matches of the season but came up short losing 3-2.  “We played an outstanding game against a great team in Fair Lawn.  We were even right up until the end and they won the last set.  It was disappointing that we lost, but there were many positives to take away from this game,” said freshman, Angela Reyzelman.

The Patriots had to look forward to their next match against rivals, Wayne Valley.  The Indians could not handle the dominant force of the Patriots, as WHHS destroyed them, with a final score of 5-0.  The girls kept this tremendous play up  for their next two games beating Passaic Valley, 5-0, and Old Tappan, 4-1. Four days after the match against Old Tappan came a highly anticipated matchup.

It was to be the last game of the season, and the final time for the team to go out with a winner. And who better to have this showdown then against Wayne Valley?  The girls took the court at 4:00 looking to snatch a win at Wayne Valley. Both teams gave it everything they had. The final result as The Patriots walked off the court for the last time this season was a 5-0 Patriots win.  

It certainly was an outstanding end to the season for WHHS as they won 7 of their last 9 regular season games and once again won counties.