Senioritis Is Here

By Carly Polay and Rachel Mazer

What exactly is “senioritis”? As Wikipedia quotes, “senioritis is a supposed affliction of students in their final year of high school or college, characterized by a decline in motivation or performance.” All seniors at one point believe that it is time to just give up on their work and stop stressing about school and focus on having fun and relaxing. We’re all (mostly) accepted to college, so who even cares about work? It’s about that time when every senior can only think about getting out of this school and laying on a beach. Senioritis is in full effect, and there’s nothing anyone can truly do to stop it.

Everyone experiences senioritis in different ways. Some people even say they begin to have the symptoms of this “illness” way before senior year even begins. Some symptoms of senioritis include: wearing sweatpants in excess, extreme laziness, repeated absences, incomplete assignments and overall dismissive attitude. There is truly no way of curing senioritis. Sleep and relaxing is a much better option to seniors now rather than school work and stress.

As a current senior and freshman writing this, we both can definitely say people in both grades have given up and have serious cases of “senioritis.”

“I think the day I began high school I had senioritis. I can’t wait to not have to wake up this early for school ever again. College is going to be a big change and I can’t wait. Hopefully senioritis won’t stay with me throughout college,” says senior Danielle Darpino.

“Since I’m already in college basically, motivation to do my work and study for exams isn’t easy at all. My grades have dropped significantly over the past few months and I am really just trying to pass my classes at this point,” says struggling senior Jason Selikoff.

Even though freshmen just began high school, they have similar views to graduating seniors.

“I may only be a freshman, but I can assure you that I am infected with senioritis and have no interest in curing it,” said freshman Kiana Garcia.

Senioritis is definitely in full swing now and there is no way it is leaving anytime soon. Comment down below if you are feeling “senioritis”!