New Arrivals in the English Department

New Arrivals in the English Department

By Jaclyn Dericks

It is exciting to announce that there have been three new English courses approved for next year. These courses include College Composition 1, College Composition 2, and War in Literature and Film. All three courses consist of heavy reading and writing and are only offered to grades 11 and 12. In College Composition 1, students will learn the basics of MLA writing and analytical reading. Students will also learn how to apply their analytical and critical thinking into their papers. This course is great for anyone who wishes to enhance their critical reading and writing methods, and for those who like writing formally and informally on a variety of topics. College Composition 2 focuses heavily on writing. Students will be required to write a research paper and 3-5 typed papers throughout the half year course. College Composition 1 is a prerequisite to College Composition 2. Finally, War in Literature and Film is a challenging course that focuses on the historical and cultural human involvement in past wars. This course includes heavy reading, writing, and critical thinking, so students should only take the course if they are interested in the analysis of literature and films about different wars. This course also requires a teacher recommendation, because of the heavy and challenging workload. “These courses are a great opportunity for upperclassmen to get college credits, to study literature to film, and a great chance to hone in on a specific topic of interest,” says Wayne Hills’ vice principal, Christina Ventimiglia.