Should Students Have One Homeworkless Night?

By Sarah Shobut

If you’re an athlete or a performer, you practice all of the time. If you’re a soccer player and you never show up to practice, you most likely will not play well during the game.  So, what is the difference with homework? It is only practicing to be a student. Instead of calling it homework, we perhaps should start calling it practice, because that is what it is. “Homework” is practicing to be intellectual, practicing to ask questions, practicing thinking and comprehending.

“If homework is a source of stress for a first grader, by trying to make sure that first grader doesn’t feel bad about themselves, we are creating a twelfth grader that is not ready for college,” said history teacher Thomas Mohan at WHHS.

Parents and students complain on the amount of homework that is given to the students, while researches say that it is a fair amount. Survey data and anecdotal evidence show that some students spend hours nightly doing homework. Homework overload is the exception rather than the norm. However, according to research from the Brookings Institution and the Rand Corporation, their researchers analyzed data from a variety of sources and concluded that the majority of U.S. students spend less than an hour a day on homework, regardless of grade level, and this has held true for most of the past 50 years.

Homework could fall under two categories: preparation and practice. In elementary school students are being prepared for what is about to come in middle and high school, and students practice it to get better, and not to struggle when they get to high school or college.

According to a 2006 study by Harris Cooper, director of Duke University’s Program in Education, which analyzed and combined the results of dozens of homework studies. The studies found that students who had homework performed better on class tests compared to those who did not.

“What is happening is middle school has to compensate for what elementary school didn’t do, and high school has to compensate for what middle school didn’t do, and college has to compensate for what high school didn’t do, and it is very hard for the business world to compensate for what college did not do,” said Thomas Mohan history teacher at WHHS.