Mia Kahrar Takes on Overall Position!

Courtesy Wayne Hills SDA Instagram

Courtesy Wayne Hills SDA Instagram

By Mia Rivera, Staff Writer

Being a part of the SDA culture is a huge commitment, especially when you are overall for a team. No one knows that better than senior Mia Kahrar, who this year will be Maroon Overall! 

Mia has been dancing since the age of 9, and ever since freshman year, she has dreamt of becoming overall. Dance has always been a part of her life, and she continues to pursue her leadership roles through high school. She started on the Maroon Team during her freshman year in jazz. She loved the experience she had with all the members of the team. This year she is most excited about her jazz routine. 

Mia has always been a jazz dancer, saying,   “I’m most excited for maroon jazz. Athena is my favorite Greek god and she portrays a very powerful message, also because jazz was my dance last year it will always hold a special place in my heart.” She can’t wait to see what her dancers have in store.

Last year, when Mia was the Maroon Jazz captain, she learned a lot, which made her become the overall she is now. Mia said, “Jazz captain last year was so fun getting to make your own visions come to life was such an experience. Seeing how dedicated the girls were really made each practice better and better. Also once the dance was finished seeing the team’s progress was so rewarding.” She is extremely proud of how far her dancers have come.

Even though becoming Maroon Overall seems amazing at first, it does come with its challenges. There is so much hard work that goes into this spectacular show. Mia said it’s hard to struggle with both school work and overall position during the SDA months. Mia explained what a typical night could be like by saying, “I don’t get home until 5:30 when practices end but on top of that I am on the Dance team and compete at my studio. A lot of the time I do not see my house until 9:30 and that is when I get to focus on my school work.”

She said that with this responsibility comes a lot of expectations for others, and she is trying her hardest to fulfill what she can. Mia also said that she is solving problems and working on different things to better herself and the team.

Mia Kahrar has always been a joy to watch perform during the SDA season, as a couple of her dancers have noticed. Sophomore Chelsey Fernicola has danced with Mis since her freshman year and said, “I am so excited for her to be our overall because I feel like she will make the maroon team close and a really fun environment for practice.” Chelsey loves Mia and says she can’t wait for the season to come!

Senior Ange Kuhn is happy to have Mia Kahrar as her overall for her senior year. She said, ” I can’t wait for Mia to be 2023 overall and am so excited for everything she has planned.” Ange believes this will be the best year yet.

If Mia could give tell her team anything she would say, “Right now you make only be thinking about the win or loss, but in reality, SDA is so much more than that.” 

Mia believes the SDA is the gateway to lasting friendships. She then said, “The people you meet and memories you make will be unlike any other, just have fun a don’t stress.”

She wants all her dancers to enjoy their SDA experience. Mia said that this is an experience that will always be a part of you. SDA, no matter what, will always hold a special place in her heart. The maroon team has taught Mia so many things and she will cherish the moments she has had with these dancers.

Mia Kahrar will not let you down, the Maroon Team is excited for their season to begin!