Kanye West Dropped by Adidas and Others over Racist, Anti-Semitic Comments

By Sarah Ramirez, Staff Writer

We all know the million-dollar loudmouth Ye, formally known as Kanye West. He’s everywhere, in our shows, our music, on the labels of our clothes and shoes, and now more than ever, on the news.

From the crass remarks about the queen’s death to getting into physical fights with paparazzi ending in one with a broken nose and fractured arm to the infamous Pete Davidson meltdown

Ye is no stranger to showing his face for controversial and embarrassing topics. But more recently, he’s on the somehow even more topic of antisemitism and racism, including wearing a White lives matter shirt along with Candace Owens at Paris Fashion Week sparking rightful outrage on the internet. 

But in October he went too far with his outlandish and brazen comments. When Ye made multiple remarks about the Jewish community, their culture, and their people. Ye appropriated multiple anti-Semitic stereotypes at the same time, Including but not limited to “I want to go def con 3 on Jewish people” and “id rather have my children know Hanukkah rather than Kwanzaa, they’ll get a better financial advantage.”   He also appeared in a selectively edited interview with Fox News’s Tucker Carlson during which he ranted against Black Lives Matter and made the bizarre claim that professional child actors had been placed in his home to manipulate and sexualize his children. 

he announced he was buying Parler, the right-wing social media site run by the husband of his recent confidante and friend, conservative commentator Candace Owens. Who is no stranger to controversy as well as she is known for her multiple racist remarks toward the black community, as well as single mothers, the LGBTQIA community, Muslims, people apart of the autistic spectrum, and paraplegic persons. And of course his apparent friendship with former president Donald Trump.

Because of these ties, Kanye’s driving force for income, his multiple ties with businesses have taken a colossal hit. Ye tweeted. “I lost 2 billion dollars in one day.” And he isn’t lying as dozens of companies are cutting ties with the famed rapper, including JP. Morgan Chase bank, Balenciaga, Vogue, The CAA (creative artists agency), MRC, GAP, Tj. MAXX, Footlocker, Skechers, Madame Tussauds, Donda sports, Peloton, The RealReal, Re bag.

Most recently Adidas, a German company announced on October 25, “Adidas does not tolerate antisemitism and any other sort of hate speech. Ye’s recent comments and actions have been unacceptable, hateful, and dangerous, and they violate the company’s values of diversity and inclusion, mutual respect, and fairness. After a thorough review, the company has taken the decision to terminate the partnership with Ye immediately, end production of Yeezy branded products, and stop all payments to Ye and his companies. adidas will stop the Adidas Yeezy business with immediate effect.”

Forbes has estimated that Adidas, along with their now-dead collaboration with Kanye’s Yeezy shoe and clothing collection was about 1.5 billion of Ye’s profit–an obviously gigantic blow to him.

Kanye has not only lost his billionaire status but his respected name for many people. “I honestly can’t believe it, He was so influential and broke through so many barriers it’s really sad to see this sorta thing happen to him,” said Sophomore Yazan Al’Sattari.

Kanye West and Candace Owens wearing a “White Lives Matter” shirt at the Paris Fashion Week 2022