Stacey Abrams’ Crucial Run for Governor

By Anzor Mustafa, Staff Writer

Stacey Abrams and Governor Brian Kemp are both fighting for the Governor’s spot as mid-terms approach.

In 2018, Stacey Abrams made history by becoming the first black woman to win the majority party nominee for governor. Henceforth, marking this election equally historic, as she would become the first black woman governor after 246 years if she were to win.

Abrams, a Democrat and voting rights activist, narrowly lost the gubernatorial race nearly four years ago. At the time, she questioned the election and claimed Brian Kempt suppressed voter turnout in an attempt to win. She said, “The access to the election was flawed, and I refuse to concede a system that permits citizens to be denied access.”

During her work as a political organizer, she has fiercely worked to get more people to vote. Through Abrams’ efforts, she turned Georgia into a blue state and greatly aided Joe Biden in his win during the 2020 election. Now, she must do the same to secure her win this November.

Last week, Brian Kemp and Stacey Abrams debated; topics on crime, abortion, and the current President dominated the debate stage. Firstly, when discussing the police, Kemp criticized Abrams’ remarks on defunding the police. Abrams highlighted how imperative crime is in relation to her race. “I don’t have the luxury of being a part of a good-old-boys’ club, where we don’t focus on the needs of our people,” said Abrams.  Secondly, Gun legislation was heavily talked about. Both candidates hold varying sentiments about gun policies. Kemp signed a bill in 2022 that allowed Georgia citizens to carry a firearm without a permit in public places.

They went on to talk about abortion. Kempt completely outlawed abortion in Georgia. Stacey Abrams noted, “This is a governor who for the last four years has beat his chest but delivered very little for most Georgians,” she said. “He’s weakened gun laws and flooded our streets. He’s weakened … women’s rights. He’s denied women the access to reproductive care. The most dangerous thing facing Georgia is four more years of Brian Kemp.”

Sophomore Angie Vera said, “I really hope Stacey Abrams wins. However, if she does win, instead of celebrating it, we should question, as a democracy, why it took so long to elect a black woman governor.”

Early voting recently started and many Americans are anxious about the possible mid-term outcomes. As both opponents continue to make their cases, the future of Georgia, but furthermore, the country is at stake.