Wayne Hills Marching Band Takes Home Multiple Awards

The+Wayne+Hills+Marching+Band+post-win%21+

The Wayne Hills Marching Band post-win!

By Stephanie Tulpan and Anzor Mustafa

After recovering from a rough defeat at Randolph High School two weeks ago, the Wayne Hills’ Marching Band came home this past weekend with a clean sweep from the Midland Park High School competition. The team placed first in their AA division and first overall with a score of 89.42/100, also winning the best marching, guard, percussion, and music awards. 

The marching band did exceptionally well this past week. According to sophomore Erin Han, “This is the highest we scored all season and it felt great!“

The band was judged on three factors of their performance: general effect, individual assessment, and the music itself. The title of the show, Vibras Espanoles, meaning “Spanish Vibes”, illuminated the band’s inspiration. They sang and danced to various Spanish pieces to showcase Hispanic heritage and culture. This unique and diverse twist on their performance definitely caught the attention of the judges and helped them gain those extra points this past weekend. 

The band members were thrilled after their clean sweep. Sophomore Prisma Vaughn says, “Our performance this past weekend was really good. It felt really great when we won!” 

Not only was the marching band thrilled about their win, but they also felt accomplished after not performing as well as they had hoped two weeks ago. According to junior Amy Fierro, “The band and everyone involved in it has worked so hard since august at band camp, so seeing the hard work pay off on Sunday is so amazing. It’s not only so exciting to get first place but it’s also so amazing to know all of the hours of work was actually for something.”

The marching band’s dedication is apparent through their time spent working in and outside of school, and definitely showed at this past week’s competition. 

So far, the Wayne Hills’ Marching Band has led an impressive start to the 2022-2023 season. As they proved this past weekend, they will never give up; they will definitely bring it even bigger and better next weekend at their home competition here at Hills. Great job and good luck to the Wayne Hills’ Marching Band!