Wayne Hills Freshman Are Overwhelmed With Homework

Wayne Hills high school

Wayne Hills high school

By Emily Caslander, Staff Writer

Freshmen at Wayne Hills high school are stressed about homework.

Late nights, long weekends, and a lot of hard work and perseverance to get them through their overload of homework.  8-grade was nothing compared to freshman year. 8th grade was tough but not as hard as freshman year.

Ava Renner, a Freshman who attends Wayne Hills high school said , “School is hard to maintain, especially as an incoming freshman. With lots of homework, and hours of after-school practice I have almost no time to do all of my homework. Compared to last year as an 8th-grade student there was almost no homework.”

It’s hard to maintain a good grade with homework starting to pile up. Students who do sports and after-school clubs, almost have no time to get all of their homework and studying finished.  Freshman students aren’t used to doing much homework. Last year as an 8th-grade student there was little to no homework. Teachers in middle school don’t prepare the incoming freshman for the amount of stress and work high school really is.

Yati Patel, a Freshman new to Wayne Hills high school said “Homework makes me feel stressed. Teachers give a lot of homework with little to no time to complete it.”

Students, especially freshmen are just getting to know high school, and it’s very challenging. Students have said we should have more wellness days, it would relieve the stress of not having to do their homework.  We as students spend about 6-8 hours at school then after school sports then we go home and do hours of homework. We have almost no time to ourselves.

Christopher Bronke a 9th-grade high school teacher High school teachers scrapped homework. , recently decided he would give no homework to his students. He said, “I got sick of a wide range of factors: overly stressed students, poor-quality homework. They didn’t have time for it, and very little actual learning was happening. I made a very simple decision: I would rather get through less material at a higher quality with less stress than keep giving homework.”

Some high schools have gone as far as getting rid of homework completely, High school teachers scrapped homework.  Believe that students will do better in their classes. They argue that homework is stressful for their eighth-grade class.

Students don’t have enough time to complete their homework. But teachers are still upset that students are handing in poorly done homework. A possible solution that may help with this situation could be to assign less homework, so students can work better and do their homework well.