The NFL Season is Starting Off Better Than Ever

(Image from San Diego Union-Tribune)

(Image from San Diego Union-Tribune)

By David Valdes, Staff Writer

As of now, Week 2 of the NFL season has concluded, but not without giving fans what they want to see: The Giants finally win, upsets, miraculous comebacks, and broken records.

The most remarkable game of the week and the season so far was probably the Miami Dolphins vs. the Baltimore Ravens. The underdog Dolphins team started the 4th quarter of the game losing by a score of 14 – 35. Led by their third-year quarterback Tua Tagovailoa, the Dolphins were able to mount an amazing comeback in the final quarter and win with a score of 42 – 38. This was the best game of his career for Tagovailoa as he threw for 469 yards and a whopping six touchdowns. His main targets were his receivers, Tyreek Hill and Jaylen Waddle who combined both got 361 yards and four touchdowns. Even though they lost, the Ravens still played a great game. Lamar Jackson broke the NFL record for most games with 100+ rushing yards by a quarterback with a count of 11. Retired player Michael Vick formerly held the record.

Sophomore and Miami Dolphins fan Luciano Garcia says, “I think that the Dolphins’ win was a statement game. Quarterback Tua Tagovailoa has come into the third year of his rookie contract on “thin ice” from both the fans’ opinion and the Miami Dolphins. Tua has underperformed, and generally not lived up to expectations. As a fan, I knew that this game was an important one to win.”

The New York Giants, a fan favorite team, pulled off a very close win against the Carolina Panthers at MetLife stadium. The Giants won the game with a score of 19 – 16. Kicker Graham Gano sealed the game by kicking a field goal in the final few minutes of the fourth quarter. He also scored three other field goals in that game. Quarterback Daniel Jones and running back Saquon Barkley led the offense for the Giants. Fans are hopeful that Barkley can stay injury-free this season due to his past of becoming injured very early in the season.
The New York Jets were also able to pull off a great comeback against the Cleveland Browns. Veteran Quarterback Joe Flacco threw for an incredible four touchdowns and 307 yards. He led the team to a 31 – 30 win, and the game was closed out at the last moment by an interception by Ashtyn Davis. On the Cleveland Browns side, running back Nick Chubb was able to run for three touchdowns in this game.

The first few weeks of the NFL season have shown how much potential this season has. There are only better things to come as this season progresses.