Does Anyone Care About Juniors Parking at School?

Lizzy Boulos

Juniors perhaps park illegally in the back lot.

By Lizzy Boulos, Staff Writer

As the school year continues more and more juniors have started to park at the school in the back lot. The question is, why has the administration only threatened to do something about it, and does anyone care? 

Juniors every year are finally getting their licenses and are excited to drive and now that they no longer need to find another way to get to school they decide to drive. Last year this was not an issue but apparently this year it is. After the administration threatened to do something at the beginning of the year people were off-put for a little while but when nothing happened more people started to park at school. 

English teacher Mr. Fleissner had mixed feelings about the parking situation.

“I wouldn’t care except that it has made getting into the lot a much longer process. The traffic has gotten terrible,” Fleissner said. “It probably makes the neighbors at Pancake [Hollow] much happier, but there does need to be a better permitting system if they continue to park here.”

It had made traffic to park that much worse but if the school introduced a permit system for the juniors it would solve the issue on some level. Junior Max Cohen said, “I feel that juniors should be able to park in the lot because it gives them access to get to school on time and have the ability to go out to different places for lunch. I also feel that it allows juniors to take on more responsibility.”

Administrators do raise some concerns about juniors parking on campus.

Ms. Ventimiglia, the vice-principal for the seniors, said, “Yes of course we care if they park at school, we do not have enough spots for the seniors to park. I know there may be some confusion because last year they were allowed to due to the cohorts. It is not fair to the people who paid for their parking. Many years ago juniors and seniors could park together but as the school grew it has reduced the spots and now there are not enough for everyone. The senior class this year is larger than the number of spots available. The class is about 340 students and there are around 280 spots even if it seems as though there are spots there really is not.” 

The seniors who it affects the most do not care. Christine Moya said, “I don’t care if juniors park at school. As long as they stay in the back and do not come to the front it doesn’t affect me.”

So is it really as big of an issue as the administrators are making it out to be? If not, can there be a way for juniors to park legally at Hills?