Students Are Excited for Not Needing to Change for Health

Emilia Caruso

Frechman Student, Emilia Caruso

By Jackie Sauer and Chloe Levy

For freshmen, health class is starting this marking period and it is a relief not to change clothes. Since middle school, students have always changed for gym class, but since the pandemic started in 2020, the locker room and changing schedule have been on and off.

Students at Hills are changing into just shirts, not any basketball shorts, unlike the changing middle school policy, where they have shirts and shorts as their uniforms. High school students still have to change into comfortable pants brought from home if jeans or other non-athletic pants are worn to school. Most students in health this marking period are relieved that they can wear whatever they want within the dress code policy without having to go through the process of changing. Also, students who are learning health in marking period Four are looking forward to the same thing. 

Victoria Mikhaylov, a freshman and fourth Marking Period Health student, said, “In gym, you get all sweaty and feel gross, so I get why we change, but it’s annoying to do, so I’m glad we just get to sit there in health next marking period.”

Along with being able to wear jeans without changing, students can also wear other attire and accessories that wouldn’t normally be allowed during the gym period, like boots, slippers, hoop earrings, belts, etc.. 

A freshman who does have health this marking period, Emilia Caruso, said, “I like not having to change for health because there is no physical activity so we don’t smell. To be honest, I think we shouldn’t even have to change at all this year in these two marking periods.”

There aren’t many students who like to change, because most find it tedious and impractical to do. Since there wasn’t any change schedule last year, it is not easy for people to jump back into.