A Guide to Part-Time Jobs for Wayne Hills’ Students

By Juliana Lee, Senior Editor

Hello reader! I am assuming if you are reading this it is because your mom will not give you allowance anymore for your expensive Sunrise bagels and Venti Starbucks drinks. No worries my friend, being in highschool is tough when you are balancing extra-curriculars and keeping your grades high, especially if you want to make some dough on the side.

When you’re in highschool you want to set goals for when you want to take on a part-time job. Are my priorities school and getting good grades, my sports, or do I just want to save a lot of money? This will set the tone of what job you may get, how much you want to work, how much money you are aiming to make, and how much time you are going to allot to your job.

Regardless, taking on a job requires time management, social skills, and also being financially aware. It can be stressful at times being in a new and uncomfortable environment when you have never been through an interview, never had to send in a resume, nor had a boss. However, this friendly guide is here for your help and assistance.

Tip Number 1: Where should I work? 

Wayne is a ginormous town. There is a vast supply of jobs available at restaurants, pizzerias like Anthony Francos or Vinnie’s, the multiple shopping centers such as Point View or Preakness, the Willowbrook mall, pools, grocery stores, any of the seven Starbucks locations, Dunkin Donuts, and so much more. However, to narrow your search, try to find a job that is accessible, has a desired level of flexibility, and is appealing to you.

The accessibility of the job may depend on how old you are as seventeen years and older are able to drive themselves. If you cannot drive, think about a place that is under a ten minutes away driving-wise so that a parent or a sibling can easily drop you off.

Another important factor to account for is how busy you are and how much your prospective employer needs you to commit. When interviewing or searching for a job, ask what is expected of you as a potential worker. Some places may need their workers to come in on a rigid schedule and work six-hour shifts. Others may tell you that they are very flexible and can cater to your schedule. Whatever the case may be, the job you chose depends on your own schedule and your priorities.

Furthermore, pick a job that seems fun and exciting to you! Do you love working on your feet and moving around a lot? Try a retail store like PacSun at the Willowbrook mall or working as a waiter/waitress for a restaurant like Gyro Grill. Do you love talking and interacting with people? Try taking orders over the phone for a pizzeria or tutoring a middle-schooler. Do you enjoy being introverted and not talking to people? Take on dog-walking to converse with furry friends instead or working at the Wayne Public Library.

The possibilities are endless especially with a town like Wayne. However, it is up to you to open those doors and find the best fit for you.

Tip Number 2: Interviews

Interviews. The dreaded one-on-one conversation that puts the burning spotlight on you and your accomplishments. However, with a bit of practice and experience, interviews can be a great way to show off your social skills and amazing capabilities. As an added bonus, any interview that you do for your part-time job in high school will only make you a better candidate when interviewing for a college or a full-time job. Your future-self will thank you.

First and foremost, body language is extremely important. Interviews can be very stressful as you never know what type of questions the interviewer will ask. Nonetheless, what you can control is how you present yourself. In an interview, your body language and your appearance can speak for themselves before you can even speak a word. Straighten your back, have a firm handshake, make eye contact, unfold your arms, and face your body towards them. Brush your teeth, comb your hair, take a shower, wear appropriate clothing, and put a smile on even if you do not feel like it. Make and stick that ten out of ten first impression.

Next, practice makes perfect! Try taking on a mock interview and predict the sort of questions they may ask. Why do you want this job? What makes you a good worker? Why should I hire you? How will your experience being president of your “x” club help you in this job? There are an infinite supply of questions and it is impossible to prepare for all of them. However, what you can practice is your ability to think on your feet and your social speaking skills. Practice with a sibling, parent, or friend and have them give you constructive feedback.

Most importantly, it is perfectly okay to make mistakes during an interview. It is a scary, vulnerable, and uncomfortable situation, but it takes a greater strength to even take one on. Be proud of yourself, even in your mistakes.

Tip Number 3: Resumes

Resumes are a tricky category. Every employer has their own opinions and preferences on them. Some do not like a multiple page resume, others like when there is a profile picture of the interviewee, or some only stand by a 12 pt font and Times New Roman. However, the best and safeguard way to tackling a resume is to be clear, concise, and clean. The three C’s if you will.

To make your resume clear, have subtitles that indicate what information you are going to present. For example, “Job Experience”, “Volunteer Work” or “Leadership Positions”. It is also important to state your contact information, full name, and  education background where it is easy to find.

Making your resume concise can be difficult. How can you explain your two month volunteer work with children in a bullet point with only five to ten words? What you have to remember is that your interviewer does not care to read big paragraphs about your trip. For each activity, position, or experience, limit it to the beginning and end dates, and the most relevant information such as the position title or award title. You can later in-person clarify and expand on what you desire.

Focusing more on the presentation of resume, a clean look goes a long way. A sleek looking resume is a white crisp paper, all black colored font, same fonts, and the same size text except for titles and subtitles. It is best to keep a picture off the resume unless specifically asked otherwise. One glance at a resume with orange paper and fonts such as Comic Sans will keep you from getting the job.

Tip Number 4: Saving and Finance Tips 

Congratulations, you got the job! Now before you get so eager with your paychecks and tips coming in, you want to carefully make sure you are being compensated fairly for the work you do. To do this in a systematic order, record the dates and hours you work in addition to how much you should be paid. Once the paycheck comes to you, you can fact check with your own records.

Furthermore, think about where you would want to store that money. Have a conversation with a parent about opening up a savings account and getting a debit card. This is a great start in becoming financially independent while still having parental guidance (it also just makes you feel cool). Another option is to have your parents cash in your paychecks and return the money in cash. However, this may be difficult as cash can easily be lost. It is ultimately yours and your guardians’ decision of how you would like to save your money.

It is also important to note the money owed to you will be less than you calculated due to taxes. At the end of January, tax refunds by the government send out forms to be filled out. The government will give back some of the taxes you paid as it was an overestimate of the taxes actually needed. Filing the tax refunds can seem daunting, but its a great way to be gently introduced to the tax system of America. Simply ask an adult or guardian for some guidance or do it by yourself online as it is a free and easy process.

To learn more about taxes for students click the link below:

https://www.taxslayer.com/blog/teen-filing-first-tax-return/

Part-time jobs are exciting and can be fulfilling. Hard work in school pays off with numbers and letters on OnCourse. However, the feeling of receiving a tangible paycheck for the work you did is, simply put, satisfying. In addition, you can celebrate your hard-earned money with your new co-workers you be-friended.

Senior Sam Flynn who has been working at a pizzeria for over half a year explains the benefits of working a part-time job: “I learned how important time management is as having a job taught me how to not procrastinate and to have a better work ethic!”

Senior Joy Lee who has been working at a bubble tea shop for over five months describes her experience with her part-time job:  “I love working at my shop because I like doing hands-on work. Measuring out the perfect amount of sugar and tapioca bubbles, and figuring out measuring problems in my head is really enjoyable for me. And not only do I get really good tips, but I get free bubble tea! If that is not the best part of my job, I don’t know what is.”

Good luck and happy getting-that-bread!