The SAT Goes Virtual in 2024

The SAT Goes Virtual in 2024

By Maddie Galesi, Staff Writer

The Scholastic Aptitude Test, or SAT, has announced that it will move to a virtual format starting in 2024. 

The SAT is a rigorous exam mainly used for college admissions as a factor to decipher which students get accepted and rejected. The test has grown tremendously since its release in the 1920s. In modern days, students spend on average between $50 and $3,000 preparing for the test and hiring private tutors to help boost their scores. 

In recent years, more universities have been slowly shifting away from standardized testing scores as a requirement for applicants. Some colleges provide their application as “test-optional” and do not penalize students for not submitting them. 

On January 25th, the College Board announced its shift to a virtual test starting in 2024. Along with the new virtual model, the test will be shortened to 2 hours, feature shorter reading passages with one question each, and abolish the no-calculator section. 

The test will still be administered in a school or a test center and continue to be scored out of 1600. 

Priscilla Rodriguez, vice president of College Readiness Assessments at College Board, said that the College Board is, “taking full advantage of what delivering an assessment digitally makes possible. With input from educators and students, we are adapting to ensure we continue to meet their evolving needs.”  

Junior Bella Bassora says that she, “wishes it was virtual for this year. It’s unfair that we spend so much time preparing and the test is going to be somewhat easier for the upcoming years.”

“Going virtual could be beneficial for students,” says Senior Sydney Chessin. “The length of the test decreasing is helpful but it could present issues on fairness.”