Human Rights Watch Student Task Force in New Jersey

By Anzor Mustafa and Yara Shobut

The Human Rights Watch organization has a student task force (STF) that has newly expanded to the east coast. The Student Task Force is based in California and the first east coast chapter is in Wayne, NJ. STF mobilizes high school students as allies and advocates for human rights-related issues as well as providing leadership opportunities for students. Though STF is not related to Wayne Hills, its members all attend that same high school. The chapter consists of Anzor Mustafa, Catlethene Galloza, Deanna Gaber, Eunice Chi,  Juliana Lee, Yara Shobut and Jordan Todd. Todd acts as the Student Task Force’s advisor, meeting with them weekly to discuss and plan activities.

The Human Rights Watch is an international non-governmental organization that quote “defends the rights of people in 100 countries worldwide, spotlighting abuses and bringing perpetrators to justice.” Each year, the Student Task Force has a certain topic they tackle. This year it is climate change, and the goal is to get more schools located in nearby districts on renewable energy.  This is essential as the younger generation will be greatly dealing with the egregious effects of climate change. STF Advisor, Jordan Todd says, “I think fighting climate change in their communities will teach young people the power of perseverance and tenacity as advocates. Change doesn’t happen easily, and it doesn’t happen overnight. But it does happen. With hard work, a refusal to give up, and by building bridges with those whom we might disagree, change happens. If young people continue to fight for whatever it is they see as the need in their community (and there are many, there is no one-size-fits-all!), they will walk away with the most important accomplishment of all: the ability to persevere for something they care about.” By establishing more chapters, there is a greater chance for students to accomplish this goal. One point STF stresses is that all actions are led by students in order to spread the message that the future- especially in regards to climate change, is in the hands of the younger generation. 

A petition was started to demonstrate that students and staff care about combating climate change. It acts as an educational tool to inform students of the already made effort of Hills to take on renewable energy. Wayne Hills, as well as six other schools in the Wayne Township School District, generate renewable energy with their solar panels that are distributed to the fourteen total schools in the district. The petition advocates for the next step to be taken which is to get Wayne Hills on 100% renewable energy, or at least for more schools in the district on renewable energy. The petition additionally highlights other environmentally friendly actions that can be taken such as composting and ending the utilization of single-use and nonbiodegradable lunch materials. 

STF member Eunice Chi says, “I hope that the Human Rights Student Task Force illustrates that students can make significant changes in regards to the community they live in.” Similarly Senior and STF member, Juliana Lee expands on this, “I’m so glad we found STF and was able to join this amazing group. I’ve been a part of Patriot Press for a while and a lot of what I wrote about was on climate change and the environment. I advocated a lot for tangible change but felt hopeless in what I could do to impact this world. Now I feel like in STF we can hope and aim to raise awareness, promote and activity pursue clean energy, and overall create a positive discussion on making a better future for upcoming generations. In our new renewable energy initiative, I’m looking forward to working within our school district to make solar energy a priority and something that exists in all of Wayne’s schools.”