What’s the Deal With The Art Murals?

By Emily Kozak

It was started to bring artwork to the school in a way everyone could see it, not just in the art classrooms,” said art teacher Mrs.Peller. 

Surely every student at Wayne Hills has seen the large and colorful paintings on the walls. Some of the Murals are several years old while some were recently finished. We walk by and admire the pieces of art, but we don’t really know how they get there. In almost any hallway you’ll see several artworks. Most murals are famous historical works that art students recreated. Students take hours sketching and painting the murals; it isn’t as easy as most of us think.

“They are underappreciated it takes hours to make them, the walls are uneven so that’s another thing that’s tricky,” said Art teacher Mrs.Tripp.

The murals are sketched on the bumpy walls using a pencil, afterwards, students will use acrylic paint to recreate the historical painting.

The art murals were created by students in the National Art Honor Society. Students can choose to paint a mural in the hallways as another way of getting points towards their participation. The students in NAHS must also work together in a group to make these murals since they take hours to make and can only be worked on after school hours or during their lunch period.

“I think they’re really interesting and a good way to spread student art around the school.  It leaves a mark on the school of the previous students,” said Sophmore Noor Rana.