NFL Player Henry Ruggs Arrested for Fatal DUI

Ruggs after the crash with a pad around his neck

Ruggs after the crash in custody

By David Valdes, Staff Writer

Las Vegas Raiders receiver Henry Ruggs lll has been charged after rear-ending his car into another, killing a woman and her dog.

The crash occurred on November 2nd, at about 3:39 A.M. Ruggs, who was under the influence, crashed his Chevrolet Corvette into a Toyota RAV-4 in an area a few miles West of the Las Vegas Strip. When the crash happened, the Toyota was lit on fire and the woman and dog in the car were killed. The woman’s name was Tina Tintor and she was 23 years old. Not only did Ruggs kill Tina and her dog, but he also injured his girlfriend, Rudy Washington, who was in the passenger seat when the crash occurred. Luckily, Washington was taken to the hospital and was treated. Ruggs is facing five charges, some of which are driving under the influence resulting in another persons’ death, possession of a gun under the influence, and a charge of reckless driving. Ruggs could face a maximum of 46 years in prison.

According to USA Today, Ruggs was driving at a speed of 156 mph. He also had a blood-alcohol level of .161, which is twice the legal limit in Nevada. On the day of the accident, the Las Vegas Raiders released a statement saying, “The Raiders are aware of an accident involving Henry Ruggs III that occurred this morning in Las Vegas. We are devastated by the loss of life and our thoughts and prayers go out to the victim’s family. We are in the process of gathering information and will have no further comment at this time.”

Later on that day, Ruggs was released by the Raiders.

Many people in the NFL community are very disappointed in Ruggs. Wayne Hills freshman, Paul Kouletas said, “Personally, I think what he was doing was very dumb. First of all, I didn’t know it was possible to get to 156 mph but other than that he was also drunk driving which is very very dangerous. He not only hurt himself but he badly hurt others around him. Now since everyone knows about his accident and it was 100% his fault, no NFL team will pick him up. His career is over for good.”