Kim Kardashian’s Hilarious SNL Hosting Debut

By Manuela Gonzalez, Social Media Editor

On Saturday, October 9, 2021, famous influencer and celebrity Kim Kardashian hosted Saturday Night Live (SNL). The Kardashian’s appearance on the show surprised many long-time SNL fans and has brought a new pool of audience into watching this comedic show.

On October 2, SNL aired the first episode of season 47 after running since 1975. The show’s charm comes from its celebrity guests, dark jokes, and sketches. Despite the charm SNL has on many of its viewers, there has been fewer viewers as years have passed by. The season premiere, which was hosted by Owen Wilson, only pulled 4.9 million viewers which is almost 50% less than season 46’s season premiere. Kim Kardashian’s episode this past Saturday pulled 5.6 million viewers, a 7% increase from Wilson’s episode.

The increase of views from this past SNL episode was due to many people from younger ages that tuned into SNL.

“I tuned in to watch the episode once it was said that Kim Kardashian was hosting, and it was unexpectedly hilarious. I loved all the sketches, but specifically ‘The Dream Guy ‘ sketch, which was a remake of the Bachelorette. It was my first SNL episode, but this has made me interested to watch more,” said Senior Katerina Lazurenko.

Kim Kardashian started the night off with her monologue making many jokes about her sisters, her ex-husband Kanye West, and even adding an O.J. Simpson joke that made the audience burst into laughter.

“My favorite joke on SNL by far is when Kim said she was the reference picture that her sisters show their plastic surgeons,” reflected Senior Brianna Ramadani.

Apart from Kardashian’s hilarious start, the show had great sketches including “The People’s Kourt”, “The Dream Guy”, and “Jasmine and Aladdin”(Where Pete Davidson and Kim Kardashian even shared a kiss).

“The show overall was an amazing watch overall and I’m excited to see what SNL has in stored next,” says Sophomore Ariana Aray.