Girls’ Tennis: County Championship & Beyond

By Kyla Leathers, Staff Writer

The Wayne Hills Girl’ Tennis Team worked their way up to the County Championship, in which each player competes to advance in their own bracket to score points for her team. The County Championship was kicked off on September 27th as a two-day event taking place at Wayne Valley High School the first day, then at Pompton Lakes the next. Wayne Hills brought three positions to the court, which was composed of five girls in all. There were two doubles teams, Sasha Abramsky with Radha Pingle, and Brooke Hecker with Gargi Srivats. There was one singles player, Sophia Kim, who managed to win the County Championship at her third singles spot. Together, the girls came through with a second-place overall finish at counties. 

Although the girls crossed Counties off their list of meets, there are still more points to be scored and matches to be won. Since the tournament, Wayne Hills Girls’ Tennis has been competing in league matches.  They won their tournaments against both Passaic Valley and Wayne Valley, which now means Wayne Hills is tied for first place in their league. Coach Green watched his athletes demonstrate a 6th place overall seed for the Team State Tournament, which for Wayne Hills is the North Jersey, Section 1, Group 3 bracket.  The girls won the first round matchup against Mount Olive, but fell short to Tenafly, whose team was seeded third, in the second round.

Mr. Green coaches alongside Andrew Reitter, who is coaching for his first official season with the team this year. Mr. Reitter coaches both Varsity and Junior Varsity, striving to improve the school’s team as a whole. Captain of the team, senior Juliana Lee, is a talented first singles player. Lee has been an avid leader since day one by stepping up on and off the court to improve the team. Freshmen Shivani Ghosh and Gargi Srivats both made varsity this year, and have contributed to the large amount of success the team has experienced in the 2021 season. 

Coach Green expressed his enthusiasm for his athletes’ success in the sport. “I am very proud of our team!  We have shown a lot of growth and improvement throughout the season.  I tell our players to never get complacent, continue to reflect and learn, give your best effort, show great sportsmanship, and enjoy the experiences of playing high school tennis!” 

“The tennis teams at Wayne Hills have experienced many great moments over the years and I’m proud to be a part of it,” Coach Green says.  “We owe a lot of that to Mr. Keogh, who retired last year, whose time and dedication to building our programs will be something that I will always remember and be grateful for.”