Hype Game Causes Destruction of Bleachers

Credit%3ACamilo+Sanchez

Credit:Camilo Sanchez

By James Adamo and Ben Friedman

On Friday, the 24th, Wayne Hills faced off against Ridgewood, a football rivalry that has been highly anticipated since the start of the season. The tension between the players of both teams was immense, which sparked fierce competition between the student sections of each school. 

The game began slowly, with the first quarter ending with each team scoreless. As the second quarter started, the student section of each group began to fill, taking over a large section of the bleachers. As the game got going, so did the chants, with each section jawing at the other without rest. 

The chants were ruthless, and once halftime came around, the Wayne Hills students decided there would only be one way to settle the conflict, confrontation. The students made their way over to Ridgewood’s opposing student section and began the trash talk. Students began to get physical, and teachers from both high schools intervened to calm the situation. 

The game continued to go into overtime, and the student sections were lively. The jumping and screaming continued, slowly tearing the bolts that held together with the bleachers. The force was more than the 20+-year-old bleachers could handle. The game came to a heart-wrenching end for Wayne Hills, and as students piled out, the massacre was revealed. 

The bleachers had been torn apart from the jumping and the extreme weight on each bleacher. When asked about the broken bleachers, multiple Wayne Hills staff members preferred not to comment on the situation. On the other side, Wayne Hills Senior and Student Section Leader Harris Lipuma had this to say: “We have so much school pride! We are so proud of our football team, and, unfortunately, our bleachers were collateral damage.”

With multiple home games left for the Wayne Hills Football Team, it will be fascinating to see how the school handles the situation. Will they limit the number of students allowed in the bleachers? Will they move the students to another section?