“Gilmore Girls” Celebrates 20th Anniversary

By Emily Sawyer, Staff Writer

With the month of November coming to a close, creators, fans, and cast members of the popular American comedy-drama “Gilmore Girls” reminisce as the show turns 20 years old.

Although the original first episode aired in early October of 2000, the show’s success over the past two decades has allowed for continuous celebration. The show is set in a small Connecticut town, Stars Hollow, populated by a diverse group of dreamers as well as everyday people. It represents the importance of family and friends while centering around Lorelai Gilmore and her daughter Rory, as the two navigate life’s many surprises. Lorelai owns the town’s inn with her best friend Sookie, whilst maintaining a strained relationship with her eccentric and well-off parents, whom she had run away from after giving birth to Rory at sixteen. After graduating high school, Rory attends Yale University but visits her mother and Stars Hollow quite often. One of what could be considered the coolest mother-daughter duos of the century, persevere through issues regarding death, heartbreak, and family struggles. Now streaming on Netflix, the popularity of the show still remains high, even twenty years later.

The main writer, Amy Sherman-Palladino, gives thanks and cheers as she exclusively tells TVLine that it was “a cast that changed [her and her husband’s] lives.” Paying special homage to the Gilmore Girls, she remarks, “There are really not words to express how we feel except to say we are old and we will forget your names very soon. But until then–you are literally everything to us.”

Along with writers, watchers too can agree that the casting worked so perfectly, allowing the show to reach its greatest potential.

Scott Patterson, who played Luke Danes on the show, a gruff diner owner, close friend of the Gilmore’s and one of the town’s originals, tells Deseret News that the “completely eccentric characters were just a blast to be around.” He talks about how much fun he had while filming, referring to Stars Hollow as “the happiest place on Earth.” Patterson talks about the shows success, saying that over the years people would discover the show and recommend it to friends and family on a never-ending loop. “I think word of mouth after 20 years has made it a pretty iconic show,” Patterson adds. Although the show has ended, a piece of Luke’s stubborn attitude and Stars Hollow creativity will remain with Patterson forever.

Emily Gilmore, Lorelai’s headstrong, conservative mother, played by Kelly Bishop, is a character many enjoyed, for she always had something to say. Reflecting on the character, Bishop tells Today that her favorite part about playing Emily was her clothes and her attitude. “I mean she was so difficult, and demanding,” Bishop says. Bishop also mentions that Amy Sherman-Palladino’s writing “was probably the best material [she’s] ever done,” thus raising her adoration for the show even higher.

Some other cast members including Lauren Graham and Alexis Bledel (Lorelai Gilmore and Rory Gilmore, respectively) continue to express immense amounts of gratitude through social media platforms like Twitter.

Fans have been celebrating this anniversary by making fan edits (videos or pictures of their favorite characters), and wearing the Gilmore Girls essentials, including a flannel and backward baseball cap for Luke, and drinking unearthly amounts of coffee–a tribute to both Lorelai and Rory.

Considering the show’s success, are there any plans to continue the series?

In 2016, Netflix released a spin-off of the original show, titled “Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life.” Sherman-Palladino tells TVLine that it was “one of those kismet moments where we were kind of all looking at each other and going, ‘Well, let’s take a couple of months and hang out together and remind each other why we drove each other crazy.’”

The new show was a complete success, as many fans were thrilled to see their favorite characters back at Stars Hollow facing new adventures. Sherman-Palladino has said this year that it is possible for a second season of this spin-off to arise, although it truly depends on the core actors (Lauren Graham, Alexis Bledel, Scott Patterson, and more) and their schedules.

In the meantime, fans will continue to watch what many consider their comfort show, and interact with each other and stars via social media. UPtv has been streaming Gilmore Girls in what is referred to as the ‘GilMORE the Merrier’ marathon, “airing all 153 episodes. . .For many, binge-watching the show during Thanksgiving week has become an annual tradition–this year being the fifth time UPtv is hosting the [marathon],” a Meaww article says. The celebrations never stop.

Sophomore Megan Lewis shares her feelings on the show’s age, saying that, “it feels really cool to be able to watch a show that’s been around for 20 years because it’s like a time capsule of what life was like then–from the phones to the celebrities to the talk about fashion.” When asked if she would like to see more seasons, she responded, “I would definitely want more seasons of the show because they left [Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life] on such a cliff hanger.”

It may have been two decades since the first episode of the equally heart-wrenching and heart-warming series, but the characters and setting of quaint, picturesque Stars Hollow will live on.