Opinion: Barrett is Fit for the Job of Supreme Court Justice

Judge Amy Coney Barrett holds her hand on the Holy Bible as she is sworn in as an associate justice of the U.S. Supreme Court by Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas on the South Lawn of the White House in Washington, U.S., October 26, 2020.   REUTERS/Tom Brenner

TOM BRENNER

Judge Amy Coney Barrett holds her hand on the Holy Bible as she is sworn in as an associate justice of the U.S. Supreme Court by Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas on the South Lawn of the White House in Washington, U.S., October 26, 2020. REUTERS/Tom Brenner

By Jake Higuera, Contributor

Throughout the history of the United States, the Supreme Court has always been regarded as one of the most prized and important institutions of our government. Although it has made mistakes and poor rulings in the past, the court can only be as good as the justices on it. In order to form a court that will make adequate decisions, qualified and intelligent justices with superior moral character must be appointed. 

With the tragic passing of Ruth Bader Ginsburg, President Donald J. Trump nominated Amy Coney Barrett to fill Ginsburg’s seat. It takes a person of extreme integrity to fill any vacant seat on the court, especially that of RBG. Justice Barrett is clearly fit for the job. 

Just eight days before the 2020 election, Judge Barrett became Justice Barrett after she was confirmed for the court in a 52-48 vote in the senate. 

A Notre Dame Law School graduate and mother of seven children with two adopted, Justice Barrett’s record is truly impressive. In 2017, President Trump nominated Barrett to the Court of Appeals for the Seventh District. Before this, she was a professor at her alma mater Notre Dame Law School. She was voted Distinguished Professor of the Year Award three times. 

Besides the fact of being an exceptional scholar, she is also a person of high moral character. She is highly regarded as a figure of moral excellence by many people. Her ability to hold down being a justice while simultaneously raising nine children is truly remarkable and something we should all admire, regardless of your stance on her confirmation. She is also a practicing Catholic. President Trump described Barrett as “[a] woman of unparalleled achievement, towering intellect, sterling credentials and unyielding loyalty to the Constitution.”

Barrett describes her judicial philosophy as “traditionalist” or “originalist.” In the past, she was a clerk for Justice Antonin Scalia and claims “his judicial philosophy is mine too”. 

Everything Justice Barrett has ever done in her past has proven her dedication to the law, to the constitution and to the betterment of our country. She is an inspiration and someone we can all look up to. President Trump has chosen a phenomenal woman to replace RBG’s seat.