The Show Must Go On: WHHS Theatre to Produce a Halloween Trilogy in December

By Eunice Chi, Staff Writer

The fall production of the Wayne Hills Theatre Workshop, Halloween Trilogy, is set to take place in the auditorium on December on the 3rd, 4th, and 5th at 7:00 PM .

The play this year is a retelling of three classic 19th century stories- “The Cask of Amontillado” by Edgar Allan Poe, “The Mark of the Beast” by Kipling, and “The Canterville Ghost” by Wilde. It will be performed as a radio play, but seen by the audience as a regular stage show. These plays were popular in the 1930s and 40s before television when stories would be acted out on radio for listeners at home.

“I wanted something different than our usual fare and I needed something that would be endlessly flexible to be sure we were adhering to a  COVID safety guidelines. When I read this, it was scary and funny, and very adaptable, so I knew I had found a winner,” said Producer and Faculty Advisor Mrs. Jeronis.

Seventeen students, along with the stage manager, will be participating in the play, all adhering to a plan set to keep participants safe from COVID-19. In rehearsals, only 10 people are on stage at a time and social distancing is used when working on lines and characters. Limited backstage time for actors, as well as minimized set and props, also keep the cast safe while working in theatre. Characters will stand at mics placed across the stage during the play, using masks and costumes to perform the show.

Precautions are being taken for the safety of the audience as well, but how the play will be seen is still being decided. “We are hoping to have an in-house audience, but that will be dictated by health guidelines at the time of the performance. As I said, we are also hoping to stream it, but I am still working with the company on that,” said Jeronis.

More information on tickets and viewing will be available as December draws closer, but the play is sure to be a splendid and spooky time.