Wayne’s Black Lives Matter Protest

By Juliana Lee, Sophomore Editor

On Saturday, June 6th at 2:00 p.m., a Black Lives Matter Protest and Rally was held near the Wayne Public Library and Wayne Valley High School. The protest proceeded peacefully and over 3000 people were able to gather, challenging racial injustice and police brutality.

Ensuring that no riots or violence would breakout, the NJ police department had large numbers of officers patrolling the area. An NJ state police helicopter was also spotted to be flying over the Wayne Township Municipal Complex, monitoring the movement.

As the group started to form in the blistering heat, waiting for the protest to begin, the famous song “Cupid Shuffle” and other songs by Black artists were played.

At 2:30, the group began to walk down Valley Road while holding their signs and chanting :

“No justice, no peace!” 

“Black Lives Matter!”

“What’s his name? George Floyd!”

“Whose birthday was it? Breonna Taylor!”

“Hands up, don’t shoot!” 

“Hey hey! Ho ho! Donald Trump has got to go!”

“I can’t breathe!”  

After about an hour of walking and protesting, the crowd gathered in the parking lot of the library to take a seat. As the protesters filed into the lot, they were greeted by much-needed refreshments that were generously supplied by a fellow woman of Wayne.

As everyone settled down, a group of people emerged and introduced themselves as the leaders/organizers of the protest. Several made speeches that roused the crowd, and there was also a trio of sisters who played “Rise Up” by Andra Day.

Det. I Castro from the New Jersey State police expresses that,” [I]t was great to see people exercising their constitutional right in a peaceful manner.”

Alessandra Cedraschi, a sophomore at Hills who attended the protest, explains “I think the protest was amazing. It was really nice to see a community come together and support one another in such a positive way.”

A glimpse of Wayne’s protest: 

https://youtu.be/ZmLBrgu8Ml8