Women Might Replace the Jobs of Men in the Future

Back to Article
Back to Article

Women Might Replace the Jobs of Men in the Future

By Sophia Kim, Staff Writer

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






It has always been a common stereotype that men are the breadwinners of the family.

But the world is changing, and that stereotype may alter in the future. Right now, the “working dad” and the “stay-at-home mom” could later change into “the working mom” and “the stay-at-home dad.”

This is because women are naturally more empathetic thinkers, while men are systematic. To prove this, a yawning study was conducted on a group of females and males. If one person yawned, a person who is empathetic would end up yawning themselves. Women picked up these yawns about 55% of the time, while men picked them up 40%. There is also a trend that women score higher than men do in emotional intelligence tests. From these studies, it is infered that perhaps women’s role in society always stressed the importance of empathy for their stereotypical jobs like raising a child or being a teacher.

However, research can also suggest that the difference in empathy levels could be due to the amount of testosterone a fetus is exposed to before it is out of the womb. Women tend to be exposed to it less than men are due to biological circumstances. The differing levels could also be formed from upbringings based on certain social standards or traditions.

Whatever it is, the difference in way of thinking might prove to be difficult for men in the future to get a job.

One thing robots can replace is systematic thinking. Robots cannot learn emotion; it is what specifically describes us as humans. But they can learn how to calculate numbers or analyze events in a logical manner. Because women tend to be more emotional thinkers, they may not be in as big of a risk of having a limited career path.

Nurses, for example, are mostly women. Nurses require not just adequate education, but also an emotional intelligence level for them to comfort their patients and make them feel welcome. These jobs can never be replaced by a robot.

Men also tend to work in manufacturing and construction industries. 97% of the construction workforce is made up by men. However, this exact field is what robots can easily replace.

“I think it’s definitely possible,” Joy Lee, a sophomore at Wayne Hills says.

Not all agree that this will happen, however.

Irene Hwang, a freshman at Wayne Hills is skeptical of what jobs in particular the robots may replace.

“The factory workers will surely get replaced,” she nods, but adds “but I don’t think robots can replace the jobs of CEOs, which a lot of males occupy.”

In fact, statistics show that 93.6% CEO jobs are taken by men, leaving only 6.4% for female.

Research even suggests that the jobs of females themselves could be replaced. Project Syndicate shows that 53% of men and 47% of women will be replaced by machines in their jobs by 2030. This is due to the fact that women also tend to hold jobs that are highly automotive, which include administrative or bookkeeping tasks.

What will happen in the future is unknown. Whatever it is, we must learn to work around this developing technology and to adapt to the changing world. After all, the future of our jobs rests in the hands of how well we adjust to automation.