Wayne Hills Boys Soccer Captures Double Overtime Win Against Rival Wayne Valley

By Luke Hulbert, Staff Writer

WHHS boys soccer nearly captured a 1-0 win against rival Wayne Valley recently. This win helped push Wayne Hills’ record to 5-6-1.

It was a defensive battle all game on Tuesday, September 17, 2019, with both Hills and Valley struggling to find the back of the net. Senior captain and goalkeeper Billy Schutze played stellar in goal making all seven saves and recording his second shutout in four games this season. 

Wayne Valley Senior and Division 1 soccer commit Mike Bleeker was a key player to watch throughout the game. The Hills team did everything they could to contain him and got the job done.

It was a fast-paced and physical game. Wayne Hills outshot Valley 14 to 7 and seemed to be dominating most of the game.

“Our plan was to play as hard as we could, winning every 50-50 ball and to convert on all of the opportunities we had,” said Sophomore Ryan Schutze.

Through regulation time, both teams did not manage to score pushing the game into overtime increasing the tension. After one scoreless overtime, the Patriots finally struck when junior Sebastian Saminigeo capitalized off across to win the game.

“Since it was our cross-town rival the game was very exciting. Lots of students from both schools came to support which added even more excitement and significance to the game,” said Schutze. 

The Patriots hope to use this win to fuel them for the upcoming games against PCTI and Fair Lawn.