91st Academy Awards Winners

By Laura Lassen, Staff Writer

The 91st Annual Academy Awards took place on Sunday, February 24th and recognized some of last year’s most memorable films.

Green Book won the award for Best Picture and had a total of three Oscars, including Best Supporting Actor (Mahershala Ali) and Best Original Screenplay.

Rami Malek from Bohemian Rhapsody won the award for Best Actor, making this his first Oscar. The film also won Best Sound Mixing, Best Film Editing, and Best Sound Editing.

Receiving her first Oscar as well, Olivia Colman won Best Actress for her role in The Favourite.

With three awards, another stand-out was Netflix’s Roma: director Alfonso Cuarón won Best Director and Best Cinematography, and the film won Best Foreign Language Film.

“I’m happy that one movie didn’t win every single award and it was spread out,” said junior Olivia Ramadas.

To the excitement of many, “Shallow” from A Star is Born won Best Original Song.

The award show began with a performance by Adam Lambert singing “We Will Rock You” and “We are the Champions” with Queen. Later in the ceremony, Jennifer Hudson sang “I’ll Fight,” and Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper shared a heartfelt performance of “Shallow.”

“I think their performance was very romantic and everyone is saying they’re in love,” said sophomore Cassy Tielve.

Unlike previous Oscar ceremonies, there was no host this year. Instead, Tina Fey, Maya Rudolph, and Amy Poehler opened up the award show after Lambert and Queen’s performance.

“Everything seemed disorganized and there wasn’t any comedy in [the show]. It was kind of boring without a host,” added Ramadas.