Super Bowl Game and Show Draw Harsh Criticism

By Noah Kaplan and Yulieanna Sim

Though many were really looking forward to an exciting Super Bowl on February 3rd between the New England Patriots and the Los Angeles Rams, the Super Bowl was pretty underwhelming with a boring game and mediocre halftime show.

The final score of the game was 13-3 with the Patriots defeating the Rams, and wide receiver Julian Edelman was named Super Bowl MVP with a total of 10 receptions and 141 receiving yards.

The Patriots, their head coach, Bill Belichick, and their starting quarterback, Tom Brady, have now gone to the Super Bowl 11 times and have won it six times. Needless to say, in a town of Giants and Jets fans, Brady and Belichick are not the most well-liked duo in WHHS.

“Tom Brady is a beast, but I still hate him,” said sophomore Matthew Emeric.

“The Super Bowl was really boring,” commented sophomore Jack Ziegler. “I wanted the Rams to win so bad, but they did horrible.”

After the dull first quarter, many were hoping and expecting to see an incredible halftime show with Maroon 5. The halftime show received mixed responses from students at Hills. With some classic singers including Adam Levine and new trending artists like Travis Scott, the halftime show was definitely different from the rest.

It also included a cameo from the TV show, Spongebob Squarepants, with the classic characters from a Super Bowl episode and transitioned smoothly with a cartoon meteor to Travis Scott on stage, surrounded by flames.

“I thought the halftime show was weak and probably one of the worst I’ve seen in a while. The music wasn’t good. They could’ve done a better job with the lights,” sophomore Selena Dahdouh shares about the entertainment.

Most responses were negative about the show because typically, either the singing itself is good or the special effects with the lights and dancing make up for it, but the 2019 halftime show proved to have none of those factors.