Finding the Right Spot: The Newest College Football Transfers

Back to Article
Back to Article

Former Alabama quarterback Jalen Hurts has transferred to the University of Oklahoma to earn a starting role.

By Louis D'Agati, Senior Sports Editor

The 2018-2019 College Football came to an a few weeks ago with Dabo Swinney and his guys holding up the College Football Playoff National Championship Trophy after an unexpected 44-16 victory over Nick Saban’s top- ranked Alabama. Freshman prodigy and future first overall pick in the NFL draft, Trevor Lawrence (age 19) led the Clemson Tigers to their win with 347 passing yards and 3 touchdowns. Lawrence gained the starting job over Kelly Bryant, which soon led to Bryant transferring to the University of Missouri for his senior season. This transfer, which occurred only 4 weeks into this 2018 season, has set the stage for more transfers in the next few years to come.

Only a few days after Ohio State won the Rose Bowl against Washington, ex- Georgia quarterback, Justin Fields, who sat behind Jake Fromm his freshman year, stepped foot on Ohio State’s campus in Columbus for a visit. Only a day later he announced he will be transferring there for his sophomore season. Fields has unbelievable potential, some say as much as Trevor Lawrence, and will only bring good times to Columbus and Buckeye Nation. He does have some big shoes to fill though.

As we have learned from the Lawrence and Bryant case, every action has a reaction, and talented players want to play at the university that will give them the best shot to compete. When Tate Martell, who was the backup to superstar Dwayne Haskins this year heard the news of Fields coming in, he wasn’t too thrilled. After sitting behind a top NFL draft prospect and the man who broke every Ohio State passing record this year (Haskins), Martell had more competition on his plate. On January 16th, he decided to take his young talents to the University of Miami to play for new head coach Manny Diaz. He should be able to have a reasonable shot at the starting job come next fall.

To top it all off, everyone knows of the quarterback controversy in Tuscaloosa between Tua Tagovailoa and Jalen Hurts. In the 2018 National Championship game, Tagovailoa (freshman at the time) replaced a struggling Hurts in the second half, leading Alabama to a win over Georgia. The remarkable performance by Tua raised some eyebrows and made people wonder who the quarterback would be this season. It turned out that Tua would get the starting job this year, and Hurts would only play the role of a decoy at times. However, in the SEC championship, Tua came out of the game with an injury, and Hurts played the role Tua played a year earlier, leading the Crimson Tide to a SEC championship victory. Just this past week, Hurts transferred to the University of Oklahoma to fill the vacancy left by Heisman trophy winner Kyler Murray, who has now declared for the NFL Draft. Hurts will most definitely be the starter this upcoming season and will have a full year to display his NFL potential.

About the Writer
Louis D'Agati, Senior Sports Editor

Louis D'Agati, Senior Sports Editor, is currently in his second year as a Patriot Press member, and is contributing both as an Editor and a Writer. Louis...