Remembering President George H. W. Bush

Remembering President George H. W. Bush

By Noah Kaplan, Staff Writer

The 41st President of the United States of America, George Herbert Walker Bush, died at age 94 on Friday the 30th of November. The students and faculty at WHHS were extremely saddened by the news of the beloved President’s passing as people around the world memorialized the statesman.

President Bush’s son and 43rd President of the United States, George W. Bush, said his father was “a man of the highest character,” according to CNN.

The former President died peacefully in his Houston home due to natural causes. His wife, Barbara, died in April of this year, and the President had been ill for some time.  The couple also lost a daughter, Robin, in 1953.

“He was the first person as a kid that I remember being President,” recalled History teacher John Terry. “It’s interesting because in some ways he represents a different American Republican party than what we have today.”

Though many of the teachers at WHHS remember Bush’s presidency, the students were not even alive during his one Presidential term from 1989 to 1993.

“I always found it interesting that two of our recent Presidents are father and son,” said Sophomore Mannut Singh. “President Bush’s death is an American tragedy.”

President Bush is the last living president to have served in a war.  His plane was shot down during World War II, and Bush was later rescued by a submarine.  He went on to serve in politics starting in 1963, was elected to Congress in 1966 and eventually the senate in 1970.