National Honor Society Inducts Its Newest Members

By Nick Tulino, Senior Editor

Wayne Hills’ prestigious academic organization for students, the National Honor Society, has recently inducted its newest members for the 2018-2019 school year. The ceremony was held on October 23, 2018 in the WHHS auditorium at 6 P.M. and was run by current NHS president Seth Friedman and advisor Andrew Poalillo. A total of 96 students were inducted including students from both the junior and senior classes.

Poalillo, who teaches freshmen in Unified Math and seniors in Pre-Calculus had much to say about the eventful night. “It was a wonderful night…the chamber choir did a great job, Seth Friedman run the event wonderfully, and it was great to meet all of the pleased parents .” said Poalillo. “I am proud of their accomplishments and am excited to meet all of our new inductees.” he added.

Junior Jade He who was just recently inducted stated “It was very nerve racking and I just hoped that I didn’t trip.” The ceremony also included speeches from both Friedman and other NHS officers including Vice President Uma Dhekne, Historian Jordyn LoPresti, and Treasurer Pulast Thaker. The night ended with a candlelight ceremony and then a meal with the members’ families in the commons.

Admittance into NHS includes a detailed application process in which applicants are required to have a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher just to be invited. In order to be accepted, applicants must show how they possess the four pillars of NHS– scholarship, leadership, service, and character. Once inducted into NHS, members participate in activities and services around WHHS and the local community.Homework Help, one of the organizations most well-known services, is held every day in the commons and the freshmen cafeteria for students who need help with homework, classwork, or studying.

The first NHS meeting in being held Wednesday, November 7 in the auditorium immediately after school. Congratulations to all newly inducted members!