Mets: Wasting a Once in a Lifetime Pitcher

Back to Article
Back to Article

Jacob deGrom has easily been a top five pitcher in the MLB this season, but the Mets have been unable to give him the run support and bullpen protection he deserves.

NBC Sports

NBC Sports

NBC Sports

By Jack Woodard, Staff Writer

Tuning into a Mets game these days is like having somebody punch you right in the gut.  Multiple times. Every game seems to be the same story, the Mets have a lead the whole game then they blow it in the 7th, 8th, or 9th.  The offense is atrocious, the bullpen is disgraceful, and the management is downright horrible. Every move Mickey Callaway makes is wrong.  He always finds a new guy in the bullpen to be the joke of the night. The worst part about this is, the Mets have the best pitcher in the league, maybe even one of the best pitchers of the decade.

Jacob deGrom is pitching like we have never seen before.  Through 12 games, deGrom has a 1.49 E.R.A, good enough to win at least 10 games on any somewhat decent club.  With the way he is pitching he could even be a contender for 25 wins on a respectable club. But this is the Mets, and Mets fans are all too used to this by now.  deGrom is only 4-0. A team that was trying to blow games for a pitcher with a 1.49 E.R.A might not even give him as few as 4 wins, but leave it to the Mets to find a way.  No wonder this team is the laughing stock of New York. Jacob deGrom has eight no decisions! Eight! His last 4 games he has gone 7 innings and given up three runs combined.  Three runs in 28 innings. That is unheard of. That is Cy Young worthy, but the Mets cannot get him a win. The same shot seems to be shown every night when deGrom pitches. The reliever blows the 1-0 or 2-1 lead that the Mets nonexistent offense has given them and the camera shows deGrom just shaking his head in the bullpen.

This whole team should be ashamed to look deGrom in the eyes these days. deGrom has not had a game where he has given up more than seven hits and he averages around nine strikeouts a game. He has had four games of ten or more strikeouts and his highest E.R.A in a game has been 3.24, which would still be a respectable average. This is talent that comes around once in a generation and the Mets are throwing it down the drain.  It must be a joke, it seems as if they are going out of their way to disgust their fans. If deGrom were on pretty much any other time, he might be a clear runaway for the Cy Young. But the Mets might be the biggest joke in all of baseball right now. A seven hit game for New York seems like a slugfest nowadays. The team is sitting at 27-30, which is not even that bad considering how bad the offense and bullpen is. The Mets have no pride, and nothing has changed over the past couple weeks.  And to add insult to injury, the team also has Noah Syndergaard, Zack Wheeler, and Steven Matz, who have all been pitching very well lately. This is one of the best pitching rotations in baseball and the Mets are ruining it.

“It truly is disappointing.  I could fall asleep with the way the offense is playing right now.  Jacob deGrom might be the best pitcher I will ever see on the Mets and they are completely wasting him.  The whole team is a disgrace and they need to turn this around right now,” said freshman Stanley Oseback.

This team is free falling right now and they are going to need to man up and pull themselves out of this funk or else the fans are in for a very, very long season.

Jack Woodard, Sports Editor

Jack Woodard is a junior at Wayne Hills High School, a Patriot Press sports editor, and a member of the football team.  He loves all sports and his favorite...