WHHS Senior Athletes Playing Sports In College

Many Wayne Hills Seniors have decided to further their athletic careers in college.

By Jared Pohl, Senior Sports Editor

The Wayne Hills Class of 2018 had numerous standout athletes who have competed and succeeded the last four years. Many of these student athletes have decided to continue their athletic careers in college. We were able to interview some of these students, asking why they chose each of their respective colleges as well as what they look forward to the most.

Nikky Maffei has decided to play lacrosse at Anna Maria College in Massachusetts after graduating from Hills. She said, “I chose Anna Maria because the college felt like home. The size was perfect for me. Everyone is so close to one another and to the teachers. I’m looking forward to being in a new atmosphere with other athletes and having friends on the team with the same passion and commitment. Meeting new people and being able to be apart of a new team that’s already a second family to me.”

Robert McHugh has committed to play golf at Monmouth University for the next four years. He commented, “I chose Monmouth because I thought it was a perfect fit for me because of the distance it is from home and I’m looking forward to traveling the country while playing golf with my team next year.”

Maddy Carlo is going to be playing soccer at Misericordia University after being a standout performer on the girls soccer team at WHHS. She said, “I chose the college because it has one of the best five year occupational therapy programs and I don’t have to go to graduate school. I’m looking forward to having a new team to be part of and meeting new people who play the same sport as me. Also I feel soccer will keep me in shape and make me feel less lazy.”

Dario Sirni will be attending Montclair State University and will be playing lacrosse there. He said, “Throughout the recruiting process, I was getting looked at by a majority of Division I schools and a couple of Division II schools. Most of Division I recruiting is done in the summer which is when I had football so I wasn’t able to occupy those big schools so Division I schools started to walk away. I went searching through Division III schools and found Montclair State. When i went on my visit to MSU, the atmosphere, the players, the coaching staff, everything just felt right for me and I saw myself playing there. I look forward to seeing the change in competitiveness from high school to college and also just being able to play a college sport to know that I’m not done playing sports. That’s really what I can’t wait to experience.”

Mike Zaccone will be playing football for the next four years at Hobart College. He commented, “As soon as I stepped foot on Hobart’s campus, I knew it was the place for me. The combination of football and academics that Hobart has is tremendous. The fact that Hobart has great people and keeps bringing in even better people is another big reason that I chose it to be my future home. Nothing is like high school football. Playing with all your best friends that you used to play tag in the park with are memories that I will never forget. What I am looking forward to the most is the competition that college football will bring to me and combining that with finding the time to do my school work as well. Hobart is in the running every year for a National Championship so that’s something I look forward to winning as well.”

All of these athletes have had success athletic careers at Wayne Hills and should be able to continue this success onto the next, more challenging level. We wish each and every student athlete who has been fortunate enough to play their sport at WHHS and has decided to take the next step at the collegiate level good luck and wish them all the best.