World Blood Donor Day – Red Cross Council Sells Shirts for Humanity

By Arianna Chen, Senior Editor

As the year slowly comes to a close, the Passaic County Red Cross Youth Council embarks on their last fundraiser for the year: Shirts for Humanity. Available to order on Community Pass under “Wayne Hills Clubs & Activities” until May 11th, the funds raised from these ten-dollar shirts are going towards Red Cross efforts to support communities impacted by disasters in terms of blood services and emotional therapy.

Specifically in the case of the Stoneman Douglas shooting, the American Red Cross provided over 60 units of blood to victims and opened over 350 cases for emotional therapy.

The Red Cross Council is requesting that everyone who purchases a shirt wears it to school on June 14th, World Blood Donor Day, which is a day that raises awareness of the continuous need for blood services globally.

Aside from their charitable fundraising initiatives in blood services, natural disasters, and service to the armed forces, the council also engages volunteers in training sessions, in which members are invited to learn citizen cpr, lifeguard certifications, etc.

“I’m definitely upset that this is my last fundraiser for this club,” says senior Carlos Ayala-Bellido, who is the current vice-president of the Passaic County Red Cross Youth Council. “But I’m excited to continue volunteering for the American Red Cross in college and I know that the Wayne Hills Graphic Design Club worked really hard to make these shirts with us, so I hope that everyone considers buying one!”

During the week of June 4th, if you do order a shirt on Community Pass, shirts will be distributed during lunch periods in the Commons. There will also be extra shirts available to purchase at the distribution tables during this week.

“Everyone has really been coming together for this last fundraiser, and I’m ready for this one to be our best yet,” says junior Gina Park, the secretary of the council.

Throughout the year, the newly formed council have led many initiatives, including a hurricane relief benefit concert (in collaboration with the TRI-M Music Honors Society) for victims of Hurricanes Harvey, Irma, and Maria; the Holiday Mail for Heroes campaign to provide holiday cards for local veterans in hospitals; and a Cookies for a Cause campaign to sell baked goods in support of California Wildfire victims.

If you have any questions about the shirt sale or joining the Passaic County Red Cross Youth Council, the next meeting is May 30th from 6-7PM in RM 127 or contact the advisor, Ms. Kinne.