Wayne Lacrosse Day

The Wayne Hills Boys Lacrosse is off to a remarkable start, holding a 6-1 record so far this season. The team is led by captains Mike Monaco, Dario Sirni, Jack Fieggen, Scott Fischgrund, and Tim McKnight. Currently, the WH Boys Lacrosse is on a five game winning streak after losing to St. Joes 8-4 and they plan on keeping the streak going. Their biggest competitors this year are Wayne Valley, West Morris, and Mount Olive.

“This year our team has potential to become one of the all time best in the history of Wayne Hills Boys Lacrosse,” says midfielder Matt Carrino, “throughout the first half of the season, we have motored to a fantastic 6-1 start, using our teams tremendous depth and toughness to find repeated success. The young talent on this team, as well as experience and leadership from older players, has meshed well to form a strong cohesive unit. Our goals this year are high. We hope to achieve them and leave a legacy at Wayne Hills forever.”

Captain Dario Sirni is a key player on the team for his leadership and winning faceoffs. He has an incredible record of winning 48 of 50 faceoffs since the season started. He has also assisted one and scored two goals. “What makes Dario such a dominating faceoff man is all the work he puts in behind the scenes. Every day he is in the locker room working on his hand speed and when we get to the field for practice he works on his first move in order to perfect his skills. He is never satisfied, even if he does perfect at the X in a game, he will strive to be better for the next game,” says Sirni’s co-captain and midfielder Jack Fieggen. Sirni is committed to Montclair State University to continue his lacrosse career as a fogo, a faceoff specialist, and midfielder.

Freshman Dan Daly, the starting goalie for WH Varsity Boys Lacrosse, is doing incredibly well saving a total of 36 of 50 shots on goal so far this season. Being a freshman as the starting varsity goalie sounds intimidating, but “Dan is adjusting really well to being a varsity athlete,” says Captain Scott Fischgrund, attack man. “He has fit right in since the first practice and takes control of the defense when he needs to. Dan is only scratching the surface of his potential and he is going to be extremely successful through high school and beyond,” Fischgrund added. Daly has been as a lacrosse goalie since the 3rd grade, and plans on continuing throughout high school and college.

Captains Jack Fieggen and Mike Monaco were both recruited to play on varsity their freshman year. Four years later and the boys are starting off the season on a great note. Fieggen has a total of 9 goals and 8 assists, leading the record of most assists so far. Monaco has made a total of 7 goals and 4 assists before unfortunately having to sit out the last two games due to a back injury he endured in the 16-2 game against Boonton. Unfortunately, he will not be playing against Pequannock this week, but hopefully he recovers soon.

Junior Augie Capria and sophomore Michael Joyce lead the Patriots with most goals so far this season, with a total of ten goals each. “The team all around is well built this year,” Capria assures, “the upperclassmen have demonstrated great leadership. Also, we all get along well and have built strong chemistry together as a team.”

Wayne Hills Boys Lacrosse will be taking on their next opponent this Friday, April 13th, at 4:00pm at home against Pequannock. The players are confident they can keep their winning streak going. Make sure you come support!