Kindness Rock Garden

Tennis Club members, Kaushik Tallam, Shawm Joo, Jeff Angello paint rocks for the rock garden.

By Alexa DiFiore, Staff Writer

As part of the school’s continuing commitment to Anti-Defamation League’s “No Place for Hate” initiative,  Wayne Hills is set to construct a kindness rock garden, an idea inspired by Art teacher Marie Tripp. Students in the Student Ambassador’s club will start setting up the garden this Thursday, but painting the rocks is open to all interested students and faculty.

The National Art Honors Society was inspired by members of the Wayne community, who began to hide decorated “kindness” rocks voluntarily, which were then re-hidden or replaced by whoever stumbled across them. This activity is part of a district-wide kindness rock project.

The rocks will be painted with an inspirational message or picture. “You never know whose day you might make with a smile or a rock,” says Donna King, our school’s student assistance specialist.

A google sign up for faculty and staff to sign up for a time to paint.

This week, teams and clubs will be allowed to paint before or after their sport or activity; the following week it will be opened to all students. During all lunch periods, tables will be set up in the commons and in the breeze ways; any student is welcome to voluntarily paint a rock.

The auto club has helped out with sand blasting the rocks and the National Art Honors Society has then added the first base coat.

“I think the idea is very kind and thoughtful. We need to be able to see the rocks if the positive message wants to be spread through our school and to the community,” says junior Samantha Bock.

A location for the rocks is yet to be determined. However, it will most likely be in the front of the school or by benches near mulch.

The morning announcements on Thursday will explain the activity, as will Mrs. Piro’s Marketing 2 class posters hung around the building.