Dear Mr. President: A Commentary on Trump’s Immigration Hypocrisy

By Shivi Chauhan, Staff Writer

You may be eligible for an employment-based, first-preference visa if you have an extraordinary ability, are an outstanding professor or researcher, or are a multinational executive or manager,” reads the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website. The employment-based first-preference Visa, more commonly referred to EB-1 Visa, has rigorous criteria that must be met for it to be granted. So, that poses the question, how did Melania Trump, neither a professor, researcher, multinational executive, or a manager, receive an EB-1 Visa when she moved to the United States in 2001? Whilst dating Donald Trump, Melania Trump’s greatest work-related achievement was appearing on a Camel cigarette Time Square billboard.

Now, before you try to defend the fact that being a model shows extraordinary ability, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website has some criteria for you! The eligibility criteria for the “Extraordinary Ability” category reads, “You must be able to demonstrate extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics through sustained national or international acclaim. Your achievements must be recognized in your field through extensive documentation. No offer of employment is required.” As far as I’m concerned, modeling does not fit into the category of the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics. But if you insist that modeling itself is an art, the specific evidence required by U.S. Immigration services entails one to “provide evidence of a one-time achievement (i.e., Pulitzer, Oscar, Olympic Medal).” So, Melania, where’s your Pulitzer/Oscar/Olympic Medal? The criteria for outstanding professors and researchers involves graduate degrees in the subject (Melania does not have a graduate degree, or any degree for that matter. She dropped out of college after one year). The criteria for multinational managers and executives require that you “have been employed outside the United States in the 3 years preceding the petition for at least 1 year by a firm or corporation and you must be seeking to enter the United States to continue service to that firm or organization. Your employment must have been outside the United States in a managerial or executive capacity and with the same employer, an affiliate, or a subsidiary of the employer.” So, as far as I know, dating Donald Trump does not qualify as being employed by a firm or organization. Bruce Morrison, the Democratic congressman who wrote the Immigration Act of 1990 defining the category for obtaining an EB-1 Visa commented that Melania Trump’s documents and achievements were inconsistent with the requirements for obtaining the Visa.

So what’s the big deal?

The big deal is this: when  people like Melania Trump  are extremely privileged and know rich and influential people, they are able to cheat out hard-working immigrants who actually hold jobs and qualify for the EB-1 Visa. When my parents first moved to the United States, they were on an EB-1 Visa, as they fell into the “Outstanding Professors and Researchers” category, and they are currently professors and researchers in the field of Materials Science and Chemistry. Fortunately, my parents moved to the US in 1996, back when Visas were granted quickly and more efficiently. Now we have a President who wants to “end chain migration” and make it impossible for immigrants who obtain Visas legally to sponsor their immediate family to move to the US with them. I believe his exact words were, “Chain migration must end now! Some people come in, and they bring their whole family with them, who can be truly evil. NOT ACCEPTABLE!” in his tweet on November 1st, 2017. It is almost laughable that his wife, Melania Trump, sponsored her parents Viktor and Amalija Knavs for legal residency back in 2001. So much for “truly evil.” For a President who claims he is against unfair immigration, his wife is a prime example of an immigrant who cheated the system and cheated many hard-working immigrants who ACTUALLY have extraordinary abilities and college degrees (including my 6 aunts and uncles, all of whom possess graduate degrees and actually contribute to the economy) from gaining citizenship to this country. In 2001, a fraction of one percent of Visas were issued, one of which was that of Melania Trump, who was undeserving of that Visa.

Mr. President, instead of criticizing immigrants and calling them “truly evil,” why don’t you take a look around yourself. If you truly want to place restrictions on unfair immigration, do us all a favor and start at home.