Preparation for Cabaret Night

Preparation for Cabaret Night

Jenna Nelson & Andrew Kim

By Aseel Dabour, Staff Writer

The Chamber and Concert choirs are busy preparing for the annual Cabaret Night, which will be held on March 7 at Wayne Hills High School in the Commons.

Cabaret Night is usually held in May but this year is going to be held early during March, before the Spring Concert.

Cabaret Night was started as an initiative to raise money for school but is now a Wayne Hills tradition that brings students together and allows them to express their musical talents.

Concert Choir and Chamber Choir each perform their own individual songs showcasing their talents. Concert Choir is open to anyone who signs up for the class, while students must audition to enroll in Chamber Choir. Both choirs are rigorously preparing by doing scales, readings, and singing every day.

During Cabaret Night, many students have the opportunity to sing individually, getting a taste of the spotlight and stepping out of their comfort zones. Additionally, several of the songs, including “The Lion Sleeps Tonight” and “What Makes You Beautiful,” are being sung by small groups.

Cara Palomba teaches both the Concert Choir and the Chamber Choir; the former plans to sing, among other things, an Adele song, while the latter’s repertoire includes “How Far I’ll Go” from the popular animated film Moana. Patriot Voices, Hills’ A capella group, is hoping to perform “Bella’s finale” from Pitch Perfect on Cabaret Night.

“I have gone in the past and it looks so much fun. I am really looking forward to it,” says Freshman Jessica Tozzi, a member of Concert Choir and Patriot Voices.