Wayne Hills Takes Part in Children’s Grief Awareness Day

Samantha Bock

Students wearing blue in support for November 16th, Children’s Grief Awareness Day.

By Alexa DiFiore, Staff Writer

Children from all over the world take November 16, Children’s Awareness Day, to allow grieving children to express their pain and show those suffering that they are not alone in their fight.

Children’s Grief Awareness Day is designed to help people understand the needs of a grieving child. November 16th is a day where people can come together and support each other.

WHHS decided to show its support for these students in need by giving it a high place in the festivities of Spirit Week; on Thursday, students sported blue for Children’s Awareness Day as well as professional sports teams for points towards their grade in the rally.

One of our courageous students at WHHS, Eliana Driesse, shared her story on the afternoon announcements, informing everyone of this important day and how much it means to her personally. Driesse is also a child affected by grief, considering that she lost someone extremely important to her: her father.

Driesse says, “It is not about everyone wearing blue. For me, it is knowing why they are wearing it– to spread awareness.”

WHHS came together for Children’s Grief Awareness Day and had a big, blue turn out.

Many people were unaware of this day before Driesse made the powerful afternoon announcement. A student from the junior class, Lauren Dizon states, “I was unaware of this day until I heard the announcement. When I heard about it I immediately was all ears and planning ways to show support.”

Eliana Driesse was very pleased with the participation she saw. Driesse states, “It makes me very happy to know everyone showing support understands and gets I’ve been through different things than they have.”

Remember, we acknowledge this day one day a year, but the child goes through this living hurt every day.

Stay aware.