Back to School Technology with App-eal

Back to School Technology with App-eal

By Jenna Sundel, Staff Writer

Now everyone can cross one item off of their back to school list, because, this year, the most important school supply is a cell phone. Organization is coming a long way from color-coordinated binders, sticky notes, and planners. Instead, more students are turning to apps to help them study and stay organized. These impressive apps will save time, making this year a walk in the park.

Say goodbye to a hunched back, because My Homework completely replaces a planner.

“It’s a good app and it’s easy to use. It keeps up with all of your due dates so you don’t have to,” said sophomore Sophia Esheileh, after trying My Homework.

Once classes are entered, homework can be added. Make sure to turn the notifications on, because it will announce all upcoming deadlines. No homework will ever be left behind with the My Homework app!

Every student also knows the struggle of buying those expensive calculators for math class, and then forgetting them in school. Don’t waste time or money going back to the store to buy another one, when there is a completely free solution to the problem in the App Store. Desmos Graphing Calculator has the same functions as a graphing calculator. It’s easy to use and can handle any subject, including Algebra, Geometry, and Precalculus. Desmos Graphing Calculator is truly a lifesaver for every forgetful student.

Khan Academy has in-depth videos explaining topics from math, science, and more for every student.

“My favorite is Khan Academy

because you can learn almost anything,” said sophomore Jay Dhar when he saw the latest back to school apps.

BERLIN, GERMANY - SEPTEMBER 19: A shopper ltries out the new Apple iPhone 6 at the Apple Store on the first day of sales of the new phone in Germany on September 19, 2014 in Berlin, Germany. Hundreds of people had waited in a line that went around the block through the night in order to be among the first people to buy the new smartphone, which comes in two versions: the Apple iPhone 6 and the somewhat larger Apple iPhone 6 Plus. (Photo by Sean Gallup/Getty Images)

All helpful videos can be added to a personalized list. Sign in and watch more videos to collect badges and energy points. Khan Academy makes it easier to ace even the hardest tests.

Another helpful app to use before a test is Quizlet. Once all of the material is entered, the possibilities are endless. Study the words in the form of digital flashcards, take a practice test, or play one of the games. Vocabulary and more will definitely be mastered after a Quizlet session.

“My favorite part were the games. It’s a fun way to study,” said sophomore Megan Kick about her favorite educational app, Quizlet.

Back to school also means the return of essays and projects. After working hard on an assignment, students barely have any time to create a works cited page. Citing also follows a strict format that could be hard to follow. Easybib is a citation generator that truly does make citation easy. After searching for a source, Easybib tries to fill in most of the citation. Most of the time, Easybib finds almost everything, leaving only a little bit to be added. Then, with a push of a button, the citation magically appears, ready to be copied and pasted into a document. When a student sees their grade, they will be relieved that they didn’t lose any points on their works cited.

Students are returning to sports and extracurriculars, along with school, which leaves little time for homework. Now, there’s a way to take notes on the go with Evernote. It’s easy to forget that it’s a phone, not a notebook, because Evernote has plenty of options that give notes a personalized touch. Intricate diagrams can be drawn and added to the notes, along with pictures and voice recordings. Evernote even allows students to chat through the app.  The free version definitely has the capability to make notes fun and simple, but paid memberships add even more options to this wonderful app.

While there still are no robots that do homework with a flip of a switch, there are plenty of apps to make this school year better than ever. Instead of taking a trip to the store, take a moment to sit down and head to the App Store.