Madness Over Local Macy’s Closing

Madness Over Local Macys Closing

By Jenna Sundel, Contributor

The stores in the local Preakness Center are dropping like flies. It was revealed in a recent announcement that one of the major stores in the Preakness Center, Macy’s, will be one of the three Macy’s stores in New Jersey that are closing before the end of the year. It offered a great selection in clothes, shoes, cosmetics, accessories, and much more. Many students are outraged because it is one of the main places to go with their friends. Also, it was convenient for a quick stop, as oppposed to the Willowbrook Mall.  

For many people, the store is very nostalgic. The Preakness Macy’s opened in the 1960s, so the store has been visited over many generations. The memories of finding a good deal, talking to the nicest employee, or simply having fun with friends is quickly fading as the store might be closing sooner than expected.

“I’m upset that the store is closing. Now there is no major local upscale clothing store where everyone can find the clothes they want,” says sophomore Megan Kick.

Sophomore Sophia Eshieleh shared similar feelings. “When I found out, I cried,” she said.

The store has already been sold to a liquidator, which is a company whose goal is to get rid of all merchandise. Everything is on clearance, so it is a good opportunity to get one last good deal before it closes. The store is filled with signs about the closing and clearance items. However, coupons can no longer be used.

One of the biggest concerns is that the closing will decrease the amount of people going to the Preakness Center. Also, the various spots for sale in the Preakness Center are proving that it might be hard to re-sell the large store. If the Preakness Center doesn’t gain a place that interests people of all ages to replace Macy’s, it might spell disaster for the Center. Hopefully, the Stop and Shop, Pet Value, Dressbarn, Bowtie Cinemas, and Learning Express can save it from facing the same fate as the Wayne Hills Mall, the nearby eerie, abandoned mall that used to be very popular in the 1980s and 90s.

The store is showing signs of closing soon, so make sure to stop by one last time to find the best bargains in town and to say goodbye to this wonderful store! It will definitely be missed!