WHHS Showing Carolina Panthers Pride

WHHS Showing Carolina Panthers Pride

By Rebecca Sands, Staff Writer

A tribute to Carolina Panthers player Greg Olsen will be held in the Gifford Gym during Period 9 on Monday with teachers encouraged to wear maroon in honor of the Wayne Hills alum.

With Super Bowl 50 approaching extremely quickly, the WHHS community is ecstatic about seeing Olsen and the Panthers take part in the action. Students and staff have been working on different projects to show their support and spread good luck to Olsen and the rest of his teammates.

Tech Ed Teacher Carla McClain is working on getting football players and other students in her marketing class together to show their Carolina Panthers pride. McClain is planning to have football players wear their black jerseys in the Gifford Gym and make the shape of an 88. Other students and his former teachers  will be dressed in maroon and have signs and posters congratulating Olsen and wishing him the absolute best as her goes for the gold. This moment will be photographed as a tribute to Olsen, a a WHHS alum.

“Greg was a very good student,” said McClain.  “He was always so down to earth and it is amazing to see him playing in the biggest sporting event of the year,” she adds. Olsen received many honors throughout his high school football career which included Gatorade Player of the Year, and he was a USA Today First- Team All- American as a senior. He ended his high school career with 73 receptions for 1,474 yards, and a WHHS record of 27 touchdowns.

The tribute to Olsen will be held On Monday during period 9.