The GOP is Dead

The Republican establishment is a party on a deathbed. It might not be showing it just yet, but internally and externally the party is nightmarishly close to collapse.

The GOP support base consists of the wealthy, who benefit from corporate tax reductions, the old, who treasure their Social Security and Medicare and other assorted benefits, and anybody who is not a minority.

Republican values and beliefs are rapidly becoming outdated, and their support base is shrinking from demographic pressures as well. 

The amount of people who believe that abortion and same-sex marriage should be illegal, as well as marijuana, is rapidly shrinking. Mainly, elders who hail from a time where gay marriage, abortion, and casual drug use were not publicly accepted still agree with these values.

And, in a relatively short amount of time, American society has suddenly become viciously secular. This is not the Christian nation conservatives claim it is, or rather, was. During the FOX News debate, moderators asked GOP hopefuls if they had “received a sign from God” regarding their campaign. Nietzsche remarked that “God is dead”, and he meant it in the same manner as mentioned here: the influence of religion has left society, leaving a dangerous power vacuum.

The elderly, however, hold a disproportionate amount of power in American politics. Because they have money, time, and also because they want to preserve their benefits such as Social Security and Medicare, they tend to vote much more than younger people.

For example, in the 2010 Congressional election, 61 percent of voters over age 65 voted compared to 37 percent of those under 45. The elderly, notoriously conservative, are the primary pillar of survival for an aging GOP. This crucial pillar for the GOP is destined to crumble all too soon.

…asked GOP hopefuls if they had ‘received a sign from God’ regarding their campaign.”

— FOX News Moderator

The second coming blow for the Republican party is demographic change. Predictions indicate that in several decades, white people will fall below 50 percent of the population, replaced by a growing Hispanic, African American, and Asian population.

This trend is especially worrisome to the GOP.

Exit polls from the November 2014 election are a forecast of how minorities will vote. While white people voted more Republican, 59 percent to 39 percent, African Americans voted overwhelmingly Democrat, 90 percent to 9 percent. Hispanics voted, interestingly, more Democrat than whites but more Republican than African Americans, about 64 percent to 34 percent.

But the fact that Hispanics are destined to fill the void left by aging white people with lower fertility rates is deadly to the GOP. Its hardline policy on immigration leaves no room for speculation about why Hispanics vote Democrat, and a horrible record on racial issues polarizes African American voters against them. 

The outlook for the Republican party is bleak. Their only hope is reform, but reform would likely alienate voters who support them now. In the face of a changing electorate and a majority that no longer holds their outdated and religious values, the GOP can only get weaker in the coming years.

Gabe Geytsman, Assistant Senior Editor

This senior somehow ended up being Assistant Senior Editor. Gabe formerly held the post of Political Analyst in his junior and sophomore years. He enjoys...