Wayne Hills Student Council Prepares for Spirit Week 2019

By Alexa Soroka, Editor

Wayne Hills student council, council advisors and student volunteers prepare for the annual Spirit Week, which is fast approaching for 2019.

The week, filled with raising money, dressing up, and balloon races, will kick off on November 18th, or the week before Thanksgiving break.

Each day of the week hosts a different theme. Students and staff will be able to dress in their pajamas on Monday, represent their favorite colleges on Tuesday, express their patriotism by wearing red, white and blue on Wednesday, and embrace Hawaiian culture on Thursday.

As always, on that Friday, each class will wear their signature color. Freshmen will dress in pink, sophomores in green, juniors in purple, and seniors in orange.

As per tradition, at the end of the week, the Spirit Rally will be held in the Gifford Gym and students and teachers will participate in various games and contests. There will be a dizzy bat challenge, which involves students and teachers, a balloon pop race, a pie-eating contest, and many more.

Along with dressing up, students may also participate in Penny Wars, where change is donated in jugs set up near the main entrance to see which class can raise the most money.

Senior class president, Ilona Margolin, informs us that, “each year [Wayne Hills] picks a local charity and donates the money from penny wars to an organization or person in need. We aren’t sure which charity we are donating to this year yet.”

The Student Council will also be collecting donations of non-perishable food items that can be brought to the North Gym each morning throughout that week. All acceptable food items will be given to a local food bank and distributed to those in need to provide them with a full Thanksgiving dinner.

Aside from all of the fun that comes with Spirit Week, it is also important to remember the true reason for hosting such an event.

Margolin continues to share that “spirit week is important because, not only are we having fun, but we are also helping the community. Everyone should participate because it goes to a good cause.”

Student Council works hard to prepare Spirit Week, and it is a great opportunity to become involved and show school spirit. Don’t forget to participate, show your appreciation, and have fun!