Don’t Sit on the Sidelines; Get into the Spirit!

WHHS Yearbook

By Kaitlynn Ponceca

Spirit Week is an unforgettable tradition here. From dressing up for the theme days, to cheering for your grade at the end of the week, and donating to get points, it’s an amazing experience. But the question is, why should you get involved? Why should students participate?

Number 1: Spirit Week is a whole lot of fun for your grade. The Spirit Rally on Friday, November 20 during eighth and ninth periods is just awesome to watch as you cheer on your grade.  Events run the gamut from favorite events of the students including the pie eating contest and the Tug-of-War. Students would sometimes go the extra mile for some of the theme days. Last year, one student came to school as the Statue of Liberty for USA Day! And the teachers also get in on the fun wearing the appropriate clothing for the day of the week – even pajamas.

Number 2: Student council members and other students put a lot of hard work into this event so we should appreciate it. The gym is decorated to the brim by some of the best artists in the school, who work hard to make posters and advertisements. And our cheerleaders, marching band, and drum line practice hard to perform at the Spirit Rally.

Number 3: Spirit Week is also a time for giving for the holidays. The money collected from Penny Wars is donated to worthy charities to the people who don’t have the means to get the food that many students have the luxury of having for Thanksgiving. This is our chance to give them a feast they deserve.

You can have fun, see some hard work, and really make a difference in our community. So what are you waiting for? Get out there, and help your grade win!